My 2nd fav pic of unveiling of SCAMP #5: the cockpit

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

johnmcneely
Major Contributor

My 2nd fav pic of unveiling of SCAMP #5: the cockpit

Post by johnmcneely »

FB_IMG_1638725266784.jpg
Just finished reading Dick Herman's, A BOAT NAMED SCAMP. I didn't realize I had come so close to the history of the SCAMP. This hull (#5) Mike Monies had named Blue SCAMP. She was supposed to be completed for the 2011 Everglades Challenge. According to the book, Mike and a friend, Andrew, were each going to enter a SCAMP. Circumstances intervened and #5 was not ready in time but #4 was ready. They entered the Challenge together on the one boat #4. and got stuck in mud in Florida Bay. Someone let me know that Blue SCAMP was for sale. So, I drove to Eufala, Oklahoma and bought her from Mike Monies. It was good luck I got to meet him and of course, Jackie. Hull #5 was 80% complete and was never painted Blue. Instead, she was turned into another Red SCAMP. Paul Breeding and my friend Adolfo Angulo both of the Denver area, helped me complete her. Her hull was painted a bright Safety Red, with a Black bottom, and white deck and cockpit. I was amazed how she got going with the slightest wisp of air. Like #4, she developed delamination problems so I donated her to a charity. She eventually was stored outside at Union Reservoir in northern Colorado being used by some Sea Scouts. She was destroyed by 3-in sized hail and cut up with my permission by the Anchorage Boat shop. If I ever get another one built of wood or fiberglass, I'd want to replicate those colors for sentimental reasons.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lhav
New Contributor

Re: My 2nd fav pic of unveiling of SCAMP #5: the cockpit

Post by lhav »

Pardon my curiosity. Where was the delamination? What type of plywood was used in the build?
johnmcneely
Major Contributor

Post by johnmcneely »

I bought the boat 80% and Marine Grade ply was not used but what the builder thought was the next best thing and would hold up for fresh-water inland lakes. The delamination began where the floor meets the transom. My scheme for covering the boat when it was not in use failed me there and unknown to me, water was collecting there and eventually seeping through. Delamination also occurred on the other SCAMP built at the same time. I don't fault the builder. It seemed like a reasonable decision and, had it worked, would have lowered the cost of SCAMP builds used in inland waters.
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Post by Rob Hazard »

In building my Scamp I got concerned about rot starting in the space where the cockpit sole and bottom meet the transom, so I ended the sole at the last bulkhead, turning the 2 little sumps into one larger one. I added a larger fillet to the joint between the transom and the bottom to compensate.