Centerboard Line / Replace

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

broblodke
Regular Contributor

Centerboard Line / Replace

Post by broblodke »

Hello!

When I got my SCAMP the line that raises the centerboard had snapped & some paracord was lashed to it to keep it functional. A few years later...and the paracord finally snapped while out the other day.

I didn't build my boat - so not really sure how the line was originally attached to the centerboard.

How do I fix this? I can lash it back again...but would like to do a real fix if possible.

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spike A
Regular Contributor

Re: Centerboard Line / Replace

Post by Spike A »

Take my advice with a grain of salt as I have a Gig Harbor Fiberglass SCAMP but I have dropped my centerboard for other issues. It looks like the line was epoxied into the centerboard. I would cut the line flush, drill out the hole, fill it with epoxy filler and push the rope you plan to use into it. Let dry and go sailing.
Mike
Luna Gig Harbor Scamp #462
Selway Fisher 50/50 Sailing Canoe
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Post by Rob Hazard »

As I look at your photos, my first impression is that your centerboard pennant is getting chewed up by the sharp edge of the copper tube where it exits the trunk. Softening up that edge would make an immediate improvement.
As to fastening the pennant to the board; there should be a hole in the edge of the board for the pennant to pass through, and a larger cross hole to accommodate a stopper knot. Both holes need to be sealed to keep the board dry, but the pennant should not be glued into the board; it needs to be easily replaceable.
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Hi Brice
As you know I know this boat very well. Respectfully the builder ( a multiple time SCAMP Camp builder) had a number of build issues post the Camp (he actually came back to two additional Camp builds. I concur that the copper tube was not properly smoothed at the aft end of it thus the wear through of the line.

I actually had to do an in field repair to this board on a Canadian North Channel group cruise, which was complicated by the fact the builder had actually bedded the centerboard cap with 5200. What a surprise on a rocky shoreline as we tried to remove the centerboard.

Here is how I attach centerboard lanyards to centerboards on builds I have made and recommend it as the method allows simple (in field if needed) line replacement.

1. First you should fill or sand the aft end of the copper tube as best you can to smooth. This will be a challenge given the board is in the way. I suggest trying with a tiny piece of course (40 or 60 grit paper) rolled up into a tool of sorts. This said you may have to remove the board or jack the boat up high enough to drop the board out of the way.

2. I no longer use the hole suggested in the plans because if the lanyard breaks you cannot do an in field repair as you have to drop the board out to allow the tying of the knot in the hole.

3. I recommend that you consider a stainless padeye, which you will slightly bend to fit the curved shoulder of the upper corner of the board. Align the padeye so that when the lanyard is attached it will pull directly into the trunk log hole. You can make this alteration with the board in place. Drill two 1 1/2" deep holes for the fasteners, dip them in thickened epoxy (epoxy plus cabosil) and install the permanent padeye. This method works. I have the same set up on my boat SCAMP #2 and as mentioned skip the drill out hole on any boat I build. This is a simple solution for any SCAMP allowing you to replace a frayed or broken lanyard at any time.

Hope this helps.
broblodke wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:27 am
Hello!

When I got my SCAMP the line that raises the centerboard had snapped & some paracord was lashed to it to keep it functional. A few years later...and the paracord finally snapped while out the other day.

I didn't build my boat - so not really sure how the line was originally attached to the centerboard.

How do I fix this? I can lash it back again...but would like to do a real fix if possible.

Thank you!
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

pocketyacht wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:11 am
Hi Brice
As you know I know this boat very well. Respectfully the builder ( a multiple time SCAMP Camp builder) had a number of build issues post the Camp (he actually came back to two additional Camp builds. I concur that the copper tube was not properly smoothed at the aft end of it thus the wear through of the line.

I actually had to do an in field repair to this board on a Canadian North Channel group cruise, which was complicated by the fact the builder had actually bedded the centerboard cap with 5200. What a surprise on a rocky shoreline as we tried to remove the centerboard.

Here is how I attach centerboard lanyards to centerboards on builds I have made and recommend it as the method allows simple (in field if needed) line replacement.

1. First you should file or sand the aft end of the copper tube as best you can to smooth. This will be a challenge given the board is in the way. I suggest trying with a tiny piece of course (40 or 60 grit paper) rolled up into a tool of sorts. This said you may have to remove the board or jack the boat up high enough to drop the board out of the way.

2. I no longer use the hole suggested in the plans because if the lanyard breaks you cannot do an in field repair as you have to drop the board out to allow the tying of the knot in the hole.

3. I recommend that you consider a stainless padeye, which you will slightly bend to fit the curved shoulder of the upper corner of the board. Align the padeye so that when the lanyard is attached it will pull directly into the trunk log hole. You can make this alteration with the board in place. Drill two 1 1/2" deep holes for the fasteners, dip them in thickened epoxy (epoxy plus cabosil) and install the permanent padeye. This method works. I have the same set up on my boat SCAMP #2 and as mentioned skip the drill out hole on any boat I build. This is a simple solution for any SCAMP allowing you to replace a frayed or broken lanyard at any time.

Hope this helps.
broblodke wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:27 am
Hello!

Thank you!