Cockpit Cushions

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

codefoster
Regular Contributor

Cockpit Cushions

Post by codefoster »

The last time my boys and I spent some serious hours in Omni (Fiberglass SCAMP #485) our butts were in serious pain. We'd like to get some cushions in the cockpit to make it more comfortable. I have a bit of a plan put together and wanted to run it by the community to get some validation or alternate ideas.

We sleep in Omni as well as sail, and so far that's involved putting in the plywood sleeping boards and laying out 3 camping mats. It works fine, but inflating and deflating the mats takes time and it's not exactly an even sleeping surface, and we often find ourselves between mats in the middle of the night.

I'd like to make cushions for the seats and then another cushion for the sleeping boards that you just put down at night. The seat cushions would stay in place unless perhaps it starts raining hard and we choose to stow them to keep the fabric from getting too wet to sleep on. The sleeping cushion would be either rolled or folded and stowed in the front locker with the sleeping boards.

I'm leaning toward the Top Notch 9 fabric. It's similar to Sunbrella. It's the same kind of fabric my tent is made of, and I like being consistent.

I'm not decided on the foam. I read from someone else that 1" foam seems the right size for a small craft, and that sounds right to me too. On sailrite.com the only 1" foam is the polyurethane. That's the one I'm currently leaning toward. I think the extra firm would make it still comfortable enough to sit on and hopefully to sleep on as well. I've also considered the "Dry Fast" foam that sailrite.com carries because water just passes right through it. For the Dry Fast, though, 2" is the thinnest.

Assuming I do go with the 1" foam, I don't think I'd have any trouble folding or rolling that for stowage. I was even considering adding some fold seams so it folds up like an accordion and it would only be 5" thick total. Let me know if you disagree with that.

All ideas welcome. Thanks.
codefoster
Regular Contributor

Re: Cockpit Cushions

Post by codefoster »

I did some more research on this tonight and found one source that suggests that you do _not_ use regular (polyurethane) foam, but rather either closed cell to keep all water out or dry fast to let water out fast. Now I might be leaning more toward the 1-1/2" closed cell. I like that it's a little bit thicker, and it has the added advantage of flotation - including serving as a throwable PFD.
miguelito.2
New Contributor

Post by miguelito.2 »

Hello,
I've been using cushions I made from 1/2" neoprene glued together with spray cement to form 1" thickness, and covered with sunbrella, and they have been fine for sitting in my wood scamp, but not enough thickness for sleeping on the floor. I've abandoned them for sleeping and found an air mattress that stows easily and is thick enough. I have a tent that I made from Sunbrella and Top Notch (I ran out of the Sunbrella and couldn't get the color so switched to Top Notch), and I liked working with the Sunbrella much better than the TN, though I know it is more expensive. I find that the cushions are fine staying in place on the seats permanently, and even help prevent leaks in the seat hatches.
Good luck, and happy sewing/sailing.
Mike Moore #170
broblodke
Regular Contributor

Post by broblodke »

I use fenders like these: https://www.wholesalemarine.com/hull-hu ... t5EALw_wcB and then sit on them underway. They are comfy enough and nice to have a dual purpose!
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

ImageI made 1" closed cell foam cushions covered in Sunbrella. I suggest the cushions should be held in place attached to the seat tops with velcro. Properly sized cushions wont budge while sailing if there were made to fit but think of your boat on its side in a capsize situation. Unattached cushions can then become an impediment to re-entry if they dislodge and get in the way. I also made two form fitting dry floors, which I use to always have a dry floor from rain or spray when I set up my tent.Image
codefoster
Regular Contributor

Post by codefoster »

Thanks, @pocketyacht. For some reason your images are broken for me. I do plan to attach cushions in case of capsize. I'm curious what the dry floors are that you mentioned since the pictures didn't come through. I assume those are a lattice or something to keep your toesies a little above any water.
Nothing I have heard here so far goes against my plan of using the 1-1/2" closed cell foam. Thanks to @miguelito.2 for the tip about fabric workability. I'll report back on progress and results.
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Jeremy, you might check out Seattle Fabrics locally. They may not be open yet for walk-ins. They have sample packs. Maybe 1/2” pieces sandwiched?

https://www.seattlefabrics.com/Y-20-Clo ... p_856.html

For sailing, my wife took 2 thick yoga mats and cut them to fit the length of the side seat benches, with notches for the wood boat bulkhead areas. They stay in place while sailing and provide minimal padding that helps a bit. They roll and stow easily.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

[img]
IMG_2704.jpg
[/img

1" cellular foam covered in sunbrella, velcro to keep them in place. In my boat I also padded the floor as the boat was developed for a rough weather voyage. You can see velcro strips on the floor. Each cushion has a slip cover of tan sunbrella to help keep them clean for daily use, also keeps them drier. Each cushion is also attached with one "lift the dot" snap to ensure that in case of a capsize and through grabbing a cushion it does not come completely off the boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
codefoster
Regular Contributor

Post by codefoster »

Howard, can you confirm that when you say _1" cellular foam_ you mean closed-cell foam - foam that does not take on water and floats? I'm looking at some 1 1/2" closed-cell foam and my only remaining concern is that it won't roll up tight for stowage.
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Yes 1" cellular foam, which means closed cell. I find it very comfortable but it is not a foam you can easily roll up once it is inside the acrylic canvas. The long bench cushions can be rolled. I have made cushions for a number of boats I have sailed and the selection of the 1" foam is in my experience the best solution. Hope this helps.