Finishing the dark places

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

DockHolliday
New Contributor

Finishing the dark places

Post by DockHolliday »

Brother and I are soon to lay down the soles and later the seat tops on number 560, working title "Otto". What's the best finish for those spaces that will be enclosed? Is it a third coat of epoxy? Should we cover the E with a nice primer? Or would it be better to go on to a hard enamel? Would appreciate the logic behind your choice.
--DockHolliday--
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Re: Finishing the dark places

Post by dsimonson »

I was in a hurry to finish the boat and get sailing, so didn't paint inside the lockers, just 3 coats of epoxy. I try to keep the light out of the lockers when the boat is not sailing, by cracking the hatches open for air but leaving them propped over the openings to stop direct sun. Seven years since launch, and the epoxy looks ok still, but I wish I'd taken the time to give them a coat of something to stop UV degradation. It would've eased my mind, I still worry about it. I'll probably slap some paint in them, some winter in the near future, but it would've been easier before I glued down the sole and bench tops!

Cheers,
Dale