Building a Scamp in a 20' container

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Jules Yanik
New Contributor

Building a Scamp in a 20' container

Post by Jules Yanik »

Hello, I’m new here 👋 I live in Berlin, Germany and I’m very excited about sailing.

Berlin has a lot of water around it and I really wanna go sailing in my own little boat. When I stumbled over Scamp, I immediately knew that’s the boat I wanna build. But since I’m living in an Apartment and workshop space is hard to find and expensive, I was wondering if a 20' container would be enough to build a scamp (20' x 8' x 8' 6"). Also, I would build from a kit. I’m looking forward for some constructive feedback/ideas 🙂
Timo
Regular Contributor

Re: Building a Scamp in a 20' container

Post by Timo »

Berlin must be a nice area for sailing. Someone told they even have a Nordic Folkboat fleet there. :)

I have been building Scamp in a room of 4.5 × 5.0 × 2.5 meters (15' × 16' × 8'). Space there is constrained, especially when you are cutting or gluing something but it's manageable. In summer you can cut plywood outdoors too. You should have answers to the following questions:

1. Where to store your plywood, epoxy, tools and other stuff?

2. How to heat the container during the cooler period of the year?

3. Can you temporarily work outdoors to cut wood or plywood?

4. What about ventilation?

A second container would be useful, or perhaps building a loft inside the container. I hope you can get started despite of the challenges.
Sailing Wayfarer #8188 Sarastus and building Scamp #371 Merisirri in Finland
Jules Yanik
New Contributor

Post by Jules Yanik »

Thank you Timo for your kind answer.

These are great questions and very helpful.

The place I found offers containers that are stored in a big warehouse. The concept is that each container can be used as a small workshop. They offer general tools like table saw, standing drills etc for everyone to use. So cutting bigger pieces shouldn’t be a problem.

I think heating and especially ventilation will be the most important questions to answer!
Heimfried
New Contributor

Post by Heimfried »

Hi J Y,
wrote you a PM.
Günter