scamp plan build nesting diagram?

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

ditherer
New Contributor

scamp plan build nesting diagram?

Post by ditherer »

I was hoping there might be a nesting layout for scamp plan builders looking at scarfing the necessary joints - I saw a couple of discussions here about it, but they were a fair while ago and I thought there might be one now.

Any advice appreciated…
JimB
New Contributor

Re: scamp plan build nesting diagram?

Post by JimB »

Hi dither!
I think we must be at similar stages in the build (thinking it through), I have #579. After reading through the manual I came up with the exact same question. The nesting diagram in the manual shows the nesting for the kit parts, but nothing for laying out parts on scarfed sheets. I am a bit worried about getting good alignment if I cut out the long pieces as shown on the nesting diagram then try to scarf the pieces together. I would think it would be much more accurate to layout the long pieces on scarfed sheets, then cut them out.

Any comments or suggestions from you experienced plans builders out there?

Jim B
Peter E
Major Contributor

Re: scamp plan build nesting diagram?

Post by Peter E »

I scarfed 4' by 8' sheets together. but before cutting the pieces I lofted the pieces on some 1/8" hard board which I cut out and used them as patterns. You could also use a roll of 48" wrapping paper and loft the parts on that. This step will save you from cutting a expensive piece of ply and find out a mistake. It is also easier to fair lines with a batten. Tools I used, framing square 2' I also made 4' square out of scrape wood. Metric 25' rule, a meter stick which also served a straight edge. A short metric stick. Make a batten If you use a roll of paper instead of hardboard A couple of sheets of plywood which you can tack nails in for fairing lines with a batten. Once you have your patterns then you can arrange them for the best use of you ply. Enjoy It was a lot of fun and a good learning experience.