Sailing in Shallow Water

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Spike A
Regular Contributor

Sailing in Shallow Water

Post by Spike A »

Spent some time on the Indian River the last couple of days and had issues in shallow water. I was in 2 to 3 feet and trying to sail up wind. With the keel lifted just enough to clear the bottom, I ended up sailing in circles. Is there something I can do to improve my results? I'm going out again tomorrow to try all points of sail in the same depth. Otherwise the sailing was terrific!
Mike
Luna Gig Harbor Scamp #462
Selway Fisher 50/50 Sailing Canoe
codefoster
Regular Contributor

Re: Sailing in Shallow Water

Post by codefoster »

If I raise my centerboard and try to turn, tack, or point it's futile. I was surprised at how much influence that board has on the sailing. I don't know what you could do to improve things without it (or all of it).
Spike A
Regular Contributor

Re: Sailing in Shallow Water

Post by Spike A »

I posted on John Welsford's FB page and received the following reply. In a situation like that, sail for speed, not pointing angle. Get going with the wind on the beam and get some speed up, then point up just a little, the boat will be much more efficient when going fast. Also this reply from a friend. I've done a lot of shallow water sailing with my Scamp. John Welsford is spot on with falling off, gaining some momentum, then the hull design will work with you. I also use body weight to lean into the leeward side allowing the windward chines to rise some. At that point the leeward chines work somewhat as a long leeboard to help prevent side slipping when you can't get much board down. It works.
Mike
Luna Gig Harbor Scamp #462
Selway Fisher 50/50 Sailing Canoe