Depth Gauge for your Scamp?

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Bark
New Contributor

Depth Gauge for your Scamp?

Post by Bark »

We sail our Scamp on some fabulous lakes in Northern Ontario and a few times each summer on Lake Superior out of Thunder Bay. On some of these lakes I have often wished I had a depth gauge to feel safer around some poorly marked shoals, sailing between islands, coming into unfamiliar waters, etc. Any Scamp builders or sailors have some sage advice or recommendations for building a depth gauge into their boat? We have a glass Scamp and are planning to try to apply a glue-in-hull transducer along with a small 12V battery. Thanks team!
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Re: Depth Gauge for your Scamp?

Post by Rob Hazard »

Hi Bark,
When you say a depth gauge, I assume you mean what I would call a depth sounder, electronic, that is.

Seeing as your Scamp is fiberglass, perhaps Gig Harbor could give you some hints as to mounting of the sensor as well as the screen. The instrument itself should come with instructions on how to install it.
I've never seen a glass Scamp up close, but I'd assume the interior structure is enough different from a plywood hull that the wiring would need a different routing.

Myself, I take a lower-tech approach to depth sounding. The boat itself floats in 9 inches of water, and the centerboard hangs down another couple feet, so on sandy bottoms I sometimes let the centerboard serve as a sort-of "feeler gauge". It makes a hissing noise and the tackle goes slack when I'm in knee-deep water. :)

I also made a tiller extension that allows me to sail the boat standing with one hand on the cuddy top. With polarized sunglasses I can then see over the bow and down into the water ahead, easily spotting anything I'd be likely to hit. It's crude, but it works well enough for me.

Be sure to let us all know what you come up with!

Rob
phatguppy
New Contributor

Post by phatguppy »

An option is to buy an "in-hull transducer" compatible with whatever sonar you wish to have. They mount on the inside of the hull, no drilling needed, come with plastic couples of various angles that align the transducer straight down, depending on where you place it. Wont work on a hull that has foam or other air bubbles in the hull material. This link has a few examples https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-Tran ... -C339.aspx
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Haha! Like Rob, my centreboard is my depth gauge! However, it's not a good fishfinder (and after 5 seasons it required some refurbishment).

All the best,
Dale
Bark
New Contributor

Post by Bark »

This is really appreciated! Love the "low tech" method, but of course... a few times have clipped a rock that way, then needed to do a bit of patching on the leading edge of the center board. Gig Harbour Boats were super helpful. I've actually purchased the DepthTrax 2B by HawkEye which can be used glued inside the hull. Having no other power source I will get a small 12V battery for this. We have a glass Scamp. Gig Harbour Boats said that a through the hull might work, but reminded me that between the skegs is actually thicker with matting, so would need to be outside this. I plan to retrieve our boat from a friend's garage down my lane in a few weeks and will begin experimenting with this all then. And... will remember to come back to post results, one way or the other! But thanks to you three for wading in! :)
Bark
New Contributor

Post by Bark »

Hello folks!

Our depthfinder installation was fairly simple and it is working well on our Scamp!

I purchased the Depthtrax 2B from Hawkeye; $139.99 on their site, plus a push button on-off switch for $12 on Amazon (see: Gebildet 0.75 Inch/19mm Stainless Steel Latching Push Button Switch 12V-24V Power Symbol LED 1NO1NC) plus a 12 V. 5 amp hour rechargeable battery. (I left the Depthfinder turned on for 4 days and the power lessened minimally! Perhaps could have gotten away with a much smaller battery but might later connect this to the light on my Plastmo compass, and also perhaps a light on top of the cuddy).

Falk at Gig Harbour said that he thought the fiberglass thickness might be ok for a glue-in transducer (I was not keen to drill a hole through the bottom of the boat, nor to have the transducer hang off the transom, which wouldn't work well with the Scamp design anyway; plus wires running over the back, more holes drilled to fix a mount, etc.) Depthfinders such as this do not need any special accommodation in terms of the angle of installation up to 12% or something like that. Thankfully there are a few options in the Scamp where the hull floor is nearly completely flat.

Falk also indicated that I should avoid gluing in between the skegs as extra matting in this area makes the hull thicker through this section.

I drilled a 2" hold above the right cuddy door for the LED display, and a smaller hole for the on/off switch. The battery I placed on the floor in a bit of foamy that I velcroed to the floor. The transducer (still only temporarily held in place with duct table and with Vaseline between it and the floor) I put on the cuddy floor, directly below the mast step. Being dead centre is great and so far it seems to be a location far enough back to avoid bubbles and turbulence ("dirty water") from the bow, even (so far) on large waves. The wiring up to the switch and display I secured with velcro to keep out of the way so the mast/spars and sailing packet won't tear thing out accidentally when packing the boat for travel.

The depth gauge works really well! We have already enjoyed a few days of sailing on a large lake (Shoal Lake, Ontario) known for its... shoals! It was great this time be able to see the sometimes sudden changes in depths, especially around islands and coming close to shore areas. This model can apparently read to 600 feet. Our worked perfectly to 60 feet, and a few times to 100 feet, but for the most part did not work past 60 feet. We're assuming this is because of sediment in the water and maybe a very soft lake bottom (what I have been able to read about this so far), but I've written to Hawkeye in case they suggest the location or just temporary attachment is maybe a problem.

We will continue to experiment a bit with location before using the 2-part epoxy to permanently fix the transducer to the floor. There's no reason we couldn't leave the current arrangement (Vaseline and duct tape) for this season. No rush.

If we wanted to try for a floor location below one of the side hatches, I could run the wire to one of the side compartments (left side, to avoid the centerboard housing (an area that is also completely flat, which is nice) but if I can avoid having to run wires and drill holes, this I much prefer. Also, more of a chance for these areas to rise out of the water when sailing.

It's nice having the whole setup inside the cuddy. Will see what Hawkeye says. We're thinking that if it worked immediately and flawlessly up to 60+ feet, that it may have been this particular lake. Regardless, for sailing purposes it's the first 60' that are more of a concern!

The display readout is clear and easily readable while sitting in the stern. In the dark, the display is LED lit which is nice. I haven't yet set the depth alarms (i.e. I suppose a Scamp sailor could set this to 5-6 feet to give a bit of warning before damaging the centerboard) because... I hate beeping noises! And instead, I now keep half an eye on the depth as we sail about.

So far so good. Once i decided on this model (great reviews; small design, etc.) and where I would try install this, it was an easy project and we're really happy with the results.

I'm open to any advice, thoughts or modifications. But if you're thinking about a depthfinder for your boat (for interest sake and perhaps more so, for peace of mind), this set up seemed pretty straightforward, manageable and successful.

All the best fellow sailors! Loving our Scamp!

Todd (Bark)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spike A
Regular Contributor

Post by Spike A »

Thanks for Sharing. In order to ensure a good contact through the hull on my WWP-19, long since gone, I epoxied a 3" section of PVC pipe to the floor. I then mounted the transom mount transducer in the pipe and filled with mineral oil. Capped it off with a small hole in the top for the wire. Worked like a charm. I could have just epoxied the transducer to the hull but I was hesitant to do that at the time. if you do epoxy it make sure to use a slow cure to ensure no bubbles.
Mike
Luna Gig Harbor Scamp #462
Selway Fisher 50/50 Sailing Canoe
Bark
New Contributor

Post by Bark »

Thanks for this Mike. Would never have thought of this but this seems a really decent idea. I have been a bit nervous about the permanence of epoxying the transponder to the floor, especially in the cuddy area which (as you know) it not too spacious to work in. This gives some flexibility in the setup, and I suppose as good or better a connection through the floor for the transponder?

I think I will try this! And... mineral oil you suggest? You learned this idea from somewhere else?

Much appreciated!

Todd
Spike A
Regular Contributor

Post by Spike A »

I'd like to think that I'm pretty inventive, but I'm sure it was not my original idea. I can't remember where I heard about it. Probably from one of the many books I've read in my life. Lots of unconnected data floating around in my head.
Mike
Luna Gig Harbor Scamp #462
Selway Fisher 50/50 Sailing Canoe
Bark
New Contributor

Post by Bark »

I like this design suggestion. It's interesting and simple (ish) and... sounds like some fun to experiment with. Will come back to this thread (with photos) once I get to this. Much appreciated Mike!

Todd