Norwegian Scamp?

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

bergen_guy
New Contributor

Norwegian Scamp?

Post by bergen_guy »

Hello Scamp people (Scampers? is there a proper way of addressing a group of Scamp owners??)

I see from the "map of Scamps" there is at least one set of Scamp plans in the Norway- anyone here know of any Scamps actually sailing here, or elsewhere in Scandinavia?

I am not about to launch into a build, as I am fresh out of completing a sailing canoe and a small pram dinghy for my kids. But I can't help but start dreaming of the next thing (too long sitting at my computer). I must admit that I have always skipped over the Scamp as 'not for me', usually looking at larger, maybe more traditional looking vessels, but when I think about what I actually need in a boat, Scamp keeps bobbing back into the list again!

I guess if I do build a kit would probably be the way forward, and I believe the best source would be from the UK. Anyway, details for later. I would be fascinated to know where the nearest actual boat is to me in Bergen.

fair winds,

Guy
Timo
Regular Contributor

Re: Norwegian Scamp?

Post by Timo »

Strictly speaking Finland is not part of Scandinavia, but if you are ready to extend your question to cover Fennoscandia too, we two active Scamp projects here in Finland. In case of my own Scamp I'm currently making and fixing the hull planking. The other Scamp builder is still planning his project, not far from where I live.

My current goal is to launch #371 this year, hopefully well before the local lake freezes over. She will be mainly sailed on the Finnish lakes and coast, but in the future I would also like to make couple of sailing trips on the coast of Norway, probably in the waters protected by Senja island and Lofoten.

A kit would definitely make building faster and enhance quality. Also, as the parts are optimally cut you likely save plywood too.

Timo
Sailing Wayfarer #8188 Sarastus and building Scamp #371 Merisirri in Finland