Mast substitute?

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Re: Mast substitute?

Post by Rob Hazard »

One thing to remember about trailering is that you don't really need the mast to be shorter than the boat, just shorter than the boat-and-trailer combo. If the one piece mast overhangs the stern by a foot or so, and the bow by a couple feet, it's not a problem so long as you have crutches to support it level. It will be high enough that you won't hit your head walking around on the ground, and rigging will be a good deal faster.
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Robb makes a good point in his recent post. I have a two-piece alloy mast but that is because I bought it that way from Gig Harbor Boats. I rarely ever take it apart as I have wiring inside. The wiring has disconnect plugs so I could but I never do.

I suggest you reach out to Lonnie Black if you go with a tabernacle. He probable has a solid mast piece in the mast box under the cabin top to support the compression of the tabernacle and mast above the top.
Here is his FB link if that helps https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004880507963
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Marc
Regular Contributor

Post by Marc »

Thank you for the info. Question: is the front crutch par of the trailer or on the boat?
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

No, it is a stub mast, with partner blocks, and a padded cross piece that I lash the horizontal mast and boom bundle to. What you may be seeing in the previous photo is probably a white vertical upright on the background garage home-base.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by simeoniii on Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Post by Rob Hazard »

I took a similar approach to Simeon, but instead of a stub mast I made a cradle that lashes down to the cuddy roof, about 14" off center so it lines up with the bench seat. The crutch at the stern is similarly offset. You can sort-of see the setup in the "Easy Chair for Scamp" thread.

The advantages I was after were, first; that I could just slide the mast into the partner tube without having to park it somewhere while I pulled a cradle out of the tube, second; that I could stand up straight on the centerline to do all the stepping and rigging with the boat floating level, and third; that I could row the boat either sitting or standing without hitting my head with the rig down.

I tie the rig down forward using those 2 little drain holes where the cuddy sides land on the foredeck.

The downside is that I have a couple funny looking blocks on the cuddy roof where the forward cradle lashes down. I can live with that. :)
Marc
Regular Contributor

Post by Marc »

Two nice set ups indeed. Thank you for the inputs.
For trailering I am toying with the idea of having a front crutch on the trailer, either a straight vertical up the middle soldered/bolted pole or more probably an off centered angled L shaped one. The mast would then lay off centered on the top extremity of the L ( top U or Y shaped). That way the cockpit is free to work into and is if some untoward accidental event occurs to the mast there is less risk to break the the front part of the boat, especially the cuddy.
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Post by Rob Hazard »

Marc,
Mounting your front crutch on the trailer has one disadvantage, which is that you don't have a way to carry the rig horizontally when you're out on the water. That may not be an issue for you, of course.

The ramp I use in Florida, where I built my Scamp, is the so-called "inside ramp" at Cedar Key. It is on a tidal lagoon that is separated from open water by a low bridge. To go sailing I first have to row out under the bridge before setting up the rig. The gap is narrow enough that I prefer to stand up and row facing forward so I can see where I'm going. I go through the same process in reverse when I'm done. This may seem like a hassle, but it's better than waiting in line to use the "outside ramp" where all the big boats launch. In season they frequently post a cop to control the line of boats waiting for the outside ramp!
That is the main reason for my off-center mast crutches.
Marc
Regular Contributor

Post by Marc »

Major manual revision?

I saw that on a 31 march post. If you want help for a French version , I think I can help.

This said I have a question at page 21 relating to the bushings of the centerboard pin. What is the diameter of the bronze bushings?
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Marc, I believe Jenn has already answered your question here:
viewtopic.php?p=17282#p17282

The bronze bushings for the centerboard pin are 1/2”ID and 3/4”OD.

Thank you for the translation offer. We have quite a way to go before we finish the English re-write.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Marc
Regular Contributor

Post by Marc »

I did not see her post yet. This said 3/4 " OD still leaves a ID much too wide for the 1/2" pin and nowhere near the rather tight fit we can see in the manual's pictures. It also requires a substantially bigger hole than the one in the foils I have ( the optional foils). I think the manual is misleading ( at first I also thought OD 3/4"). When read carefully the manual's instructions " 4 bronze bushings 2 3/4 for the case and 2 3/4 for the board"
does not mean 4 3/4 diameter bronze bushings but rather a total of 4 bushings of 2 3/4 length for the case and the board to be cut to fit the board and the case. The diameter is then left unknown but it must be 9/16 , 5/8 ( i.e. the bolt head size I will have to measure).