New guy Scamp questions

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

GregWads
Regular Contributor

Re: New guy Scamp questions

Post by GregWads »

Another note: The plans appear to be skewed towards towards selling Kits. I opted for building from plans mostly do to the kit shipping costs.

If you decide to build from the plans, my best advice would be to buy a 48" wide roll of paper and use it to draw full size patterns, that can then be used determine the best usage of your sheet goods.

Cheers,
Greg.
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Greg and Pete -

Yes, the build manual was initially authored as a guide to building from a kit. There was enough in it to help the “from plans” builder considerably but it didn’t address the best way to get those 100 plus pieces of ply optimally cut out of 4x8 sheets of 9 mm and 6mm marine ply. Hull plank scarfing and other things are much easier done with CNC puzzle joints but the plans builder has a lot of layout issues to contend with to conserve usage of those ply sheets.

We are currently working on a major revision of the manual and it will simplify kit module construction as well as being more friendly to plans builders.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

I wouldn't want to capsize in a Potter 14, SCAMP, no problem.
CurtisWWP wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:00 pm
I think the Scamp design can survive rough conditions better than a P14/15, but - as a loyal P15 owner - I have to mention that P14s have been sailed to Hawaii & also to Alaska.
It is nice to not have to set up a tent in the evening or hassle with putting a wet tent away in the morning. I could ramble on about the imagined pros & cons, but they are imagined since I've never seen a Scamp in person. Either is better than no sailboat at all:)
CurtisWWP
New Contributor

Post by CurtisWWP »

I agree; a capsized Potter is a mess, but I think it rare if the Skipper uses good judgment.
Carsten
New Contributor

Post by Carsten »

simeoniii wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:59 pm
Greg and Pete -

Yes, the build manual was initially authored as a guide to building from a kit. There was enough in it to help the “from plans” builder considerably but it didn’t address the best way to get those 100 plus pieces of ply optimally cut out of 4x8 sheets of 9 mm and 6mm marine ply. Hull plank scarfing and other things are much easier done with CNC puzzle joints but the plans builder has a lot of layout issues to contend with to conserve usage of those ply sheets.

We are currently working on a major revision of the manual and it will simplify kit module construction as well as being more friendly to plans builders.
When Are you guys done with it ?
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

We’ve made a start… Now we have to make an end. Sailing weather is perfect this time of year.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11