New guy Scamp questions

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Pete Staehling
New Contributor

New guy Scamp questions

Post by Pete Staehling »

I recently became aware of the existence of the Scamp. I haven't been active in sailing or boatbuilding for a number of years. I formerly lived near the Chesapeake Bay and owned a few different sailboats. My sailboats all lived in slips except for the sailing dinghies and truth be told some years we had more fun in the dinghies than in the bigger boats. So a little trailer-able boat like the Scamp sounds like a cool middle ground.

I have built a few boats ranging from dinghies to kayaks to a rowing dory and have a well equipped wood shop. I am retired and can work on the project full time.

The Scamp looks like an amazing little craft that would be wonderful for use here on the Gulf of Mexico (I am in Tallahassee) and ranging out further to the Keys. I can see myself day sailing as well as doing longer trips and beach camping.

Despite the long drive to and from, the Scamp Camp sounds like a great wat to build a boat. Is there likely to be a non virtual one in 2021? 2022?

For those who built a boat at Scamp Camp...
How far were you from ready to sail when you took the boat home? Weeks? Months? More?
By the time you had a functional boat, how much did you have invested?

Anyone who built via Virtual Scamp Camp, Id be interested in the same general questions and your impressions of the experience.

I kind of like the idea of the camp. It sort of justifies some of the experience as also being a vacation.

I am still sorting out the build at home vs build at Scamp Camp vs buy vs buy and older used Potter 15 or something.

The Scamp really looks like the boat I want, but being a cheapskate I confess that the dirt cheap prices I have seen some WW Potters listed at tempt me (I have not actually looked at them so they may not have been as listed). I really doubt I can build a Scamp for anywhere near what I can find a Potter and the Potter would generally have a motor and trailer included if those listings were actually legit. So I am fact gathering and wrestling with this.
Spike A
Regular Contributor

Re: New guy Scamp questions

Post by Spike A »

I'm not sure about the Scamp Camp or building but I did have a Potter 15 I sold and purchased a used fiberglass Scamp. I'm not as agile as I used to be and the cabin in the Potter wasn't really usable. Also if you sail with anyone else, 2 is about max for the Potter. I've had 4 comfortably in the Scamp. There is no cabin but the stability, cockpit room, and lack of stays makes for a more useful boat for me. I too want to sail camp along the Gulf Coast and I'm trying to figure out a boom tent or other solution to keep out of the weather in the evenings.
Mike
Luna Gig Harbor Scamp #462
Selway Fisher 50/50 Sailing Canoe
Pete Staehling
New Contributor

Post by Pete Staehling »

Spike A wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:24 am
I'm not sure about the Scamp Camp or building but I did have a Potter 15 I sold and purchased a used fiberglass Scamp. I'm not as agile as I used to be and the cabin in the Potter wasn't really usable. Also if you sail with anyone else, 2 is about max for the Potter. I've had 4 comfortably in the Scamp. There is no cabin but the stability, cockpit room, and lack of stays makes for a more useful boat for me. I too want to sail camp along the Gulf Coast and I'm trying to figure out a boom tent or other solution to keep out of the weather in the evenings.
That is useful feedback. I think I could sleep in the Potter15, but doubt my wife can. When backpacking or bicycle touring I happily sleep in a hoopless bivy sack that is essentially just a mummy sleeping bag cover. Heck I sleep in the MRI machine. Still I think a Scamp with a boom tent is most likely a better fit for us.

On the other hand I know my wife will definitely day sail with me, but I am not sure she will actually do longer trips that that any way.
Spike A
Regular Contributor

Post by Spike A »

I have also slept in an MRI machine. In my previous military life I slept in many unsavory places. The SCAMP will be luxury. Many SCAMPers, is that a word, will put slats between the cockpit seats to create one huge sleeping surface. You could probably fit a queen sized inflatable bed if you had the desire. My wife will definitely not be sleeping aboard so I'm planning on a nice sleeping bag/pad on the floor.
Mike
Luna Gig Harbor Scamp #462
Selway Fisher 50/50 Sailing Canoe
Pete Staehling
New Contributor

Post by Pete Staehling »

Spike A wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:28 am
I have also slept in an MRI machine. In my previous military life I slept in many unsavory places. The SCAMP will be luxury. Many SCAMPers, is that a word, will put slats between the cockpit seats to create one huge sleeping surface. You could probably fit a queen sized inflatable bed if you had the desire. My wife will definitely not be sleeping aboard so I'm planning on a nice sleeping bag/pad on the floor.
Even if she might not ever do it, I am still kind of holding out hope that she might be convinced to do some longer beach camping trips. She seems interested and did enjoy some more adventurous travel in years gone by. I actually find comfort in cramped quarters, but for her slats or a platform that could be raised to seat level might be needed. I wouldn't expect go to a big inflatable bed, but she could use a big luxurious basecamp type style self inflating Thermarest pad that languishes unused in my gear closet.

When we were on The Chesapeake Bay we enjoyed a fin keel Catalina 22 and later an Alberg 30, but I don't think I would go to a bigger boat again here in Florida's Big Bend. Something that can be run up on the beach or that can easily deal with the many shifting sand bars is the way to go here, hence something like the Scamp or maybe the Potter.
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

Taking part in a SCAMP Camp gets you started, building necessary skills, and making relationships with helpful folks like Howard Rice and, if we US gets our collective act together on COVID, John Welsford. This is important as you will have a _bunch_ of work left to do to get your SCAMP finished.

If you prefer sailing v building get a used SCAMP, either one built by another or the fiberglass Gig Harbor Boatworks, are the preferred get on the water now options. You could also order a new shiney new one from GH.

SCAMP cockpit is way nicer than the Potter 14/15's. Fits two easily. Great open boat camp cruiser.

If you want a small sailboat with a comfortable cabin berth for two IMO there are really only three boats to consider - Sage 15, SageCat (catboat rigged Sage 15), and the Montgomery 15.
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
CurtisWWP
New Contributor

Post by CurtisWWP »

I've never seen a Scamp in person, but they look like great boats. I've contemplated purchasing a used one to try out. I am curious about how well they point compared to a Potter 15? I often point almost as high as practical in my P-15 to get back to the harbor and still end up doing some tacking. The windward ability might be something to consider depending on the conditions where you sail.
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

CurtisWWP wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:18 pm
I am curious about how well they point compared to a Potter 15?
I found the SCAMP to be just as good going to weather as a P14/15. The trick is figuring out how to correctly set the lug rig.

SCAMP has proven herself a good sea boat in conditions no one would or has taken the P14/15.
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
CurtisWWP
New Contributor

Post by CurtisWWP »

I think the Scamp design can survive rough conditions better than a P14/15, but - as a loyal P15 owner - I have to mention that P14s have been sailed to Hawaii & also to Alaska.
It is nice to not have to set up a tent in the evening or hassle with putting a wet tent away in the morning. I could ramble on about the imagined pros & cons, but they are imagined since I've never seen a Scamp in person. Either is better than no sailboat at all:)
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Hi Pete,

Sorry to be so late replying! I was a participant in Scamp Camp 1, Port Townsend, August 2012, and launched my boat 20 months later. I believe the fastest boat completed from that batch was Keith's "Zephyr" launched in about 12 months (although, perhaps Bob's "Peanut" was in the water a bit earlier, I think he had a shipwright finish it for him).

Here's where we got to at the end of Camp #1:

ImageIMG_0975 by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0976 by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

Imageby the time we hit Oak Harbour, about 20 minutes north of getting off the ferry she had shifted to port, so I added another tie-down at stern. by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

Most or all structural components were done, planks on, and all those intersections of bulkheads, longitudinals, and planks were filleted. The gunwales and carlins were in, and the deck scarfs were glued up, but the deck was only temporarily attached for transport. The "B3" bulkhead didn't have any hatches or backing doublers, as owner options needed to be considered... I believe later camps had them a bit further along, holes cut and backing materials glued in on the bench, before the bulkhead went into the boat.

Next step, upon arrival at home, was to flip the boat, fair, glass, and paint the outside of the hull. Then, back right-side up, and a ton of work to finish the interior (doublers, cleats, hatches, seat tops, sole, lots of fillets), deck, cuddy sides and top, lots more fillets, centreboard, rudder, 3 spars, 3 coats of epoxy, and more sanding than you want to know... then paint, varnish, install hardware, and go sailing!

It was all very enjoyable, but a lot of work... it's a lot of boat in 12'. I had a blast building it.

I've only sailed alongside a Potter a few times, so don't have a ton of comparative info on upwind ability, but from the few times I have I think the Scamp is just as weatherly. However, going to weather is as much about the sailor as the boat, I can go as high as most cruisers out on English Bay, but I'm no match to the racers out there... a laser, or a J24, can go higher me, but a Cal 24 can't. And my cockpit is just as big as his... daysailing with 4 people aboard is very comfortable. (And, that big cockpit is my cabin, once I put up the tent!)

ImageLUNA dried out at Shark Spit by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

Cheers,
Dale