525 under construction

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

525 under construction

Post by Jennifer J Harold »

I've begun the kit build of 525.
I dont have room in my garage for more than a modest workshop, so I put up a temporary garage from Harbor Freight outside for the boat. I leveled ground for pier blocks and constructed a jig-sized mini-deck.
20200813_131714_compress15.jpg
I put an old kitchen table on castersfor a bench, and it works well to support the long pieces.
20200829_120109_compress5.jpg
So far have build the jig and done all of the prep joining and sealing a bit at a time as space allows.
20200912_232938_compress24.jpg
I thought I'd share since this group seems to enjoy photos of the process. (I know I do!) Looking forward to next steps!
Jenn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jennifer J Harold on Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Re: 525 prep phase

Post by simeoniii »

Nice work Jenn. It didn’t take long to make that final decision and go for it. Well done on your first steps! Keep the photos coming and don’t be shy about asking for advice. The are a lot of build blogs out there so SCAMP folk with blogs, offer up some links here for Jennifer in “Seattle”
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Re: 525 prep phase

Thanks, Simeon!
Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Re: 525 under construction

Pouring lead was fun. I made a video for my chemistry students while I was at it. We're studying heating curves and state changes... good timing. (I put on the respirator for the actual heating/pouring process.)
20200920_170601_compress17.jpg
I decided to make the rudder at the same time...already set up for it in my small space, so why not? Dug out my grandpa's old work bench with the vise - I think the last time it was opened was by him.
20201009_140805_compress84.jpg
Foils complete except for hardware and fiddly stuff. Later.
20201011_221132_compress78.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Cb trunk and B4-7 in place and filleted. This was a rewarding step.
20201021_203721_compress30.jpg
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Jennifer, remember you can use the seat tops set in place to ensure all the bulkheads are vertical and have proper clearance for the cutouts in the tops. I see you are going for the straight sided option on B-4. That's a good decision I think. I just retro fitted my SCAMP after 7 years and really like it. Forward side gives me more storage hanging area and my Mary says that she enjoys a bit more wind & weather protection when she’s hunkered down chuckling at me on the helm.

Nice progress, you are moving right along.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Good reminder on the seat tops! I'll go back and double check with those.

My family decided on the straight sides for the weather protection and storage as well.

I'm thinking of installing hatch supports on b3 prior to installing - easier to work on horizontal. While I'm thinking about hatches in general, what do you keep in mind when choosing hatch size/ location? Seems like storage needs, but also structural soundness, ability to air out and clean closed spaces. When does someone begin to regret larger or more hatches - when is less more? Is there a recommended hatch configuration?

Background: I'm not brand new as a woodworker, but not greatly experienced either. I'm synthesizing information from the manual, this forum, and various blogs. I'm going to be happy with an end result that is purely functional , but I am inspired by the artistry of some builders. With so much information floating around, it's sometimes difficult to discern necessary steps from individual choice.

Really enjoying this project. My family always knows where to look for me...
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Jennifer, it’s nice to know the bulkheads are close to correct and the seat tops are a good reference. While you are springing on the hull planks you can use them to check and make sure the BHs stay where the are meant to be during the glue up.

This subject is a good thread to pursue. I haven’t yet done an advanced SCAMP Forum search here but will soon.

As to B-3 hatches and hatches/ports in general, let me think on that a bit. Choosing hatches at this stage so you can more easily install needed hatch perimeter mounting backings is a wise move. I do recommend not to have the sill of the B-3 ones too low. Noddy’s are set 8” above the sole to keep any standing water at bay. My hatches are nominally 9.5” x 15.5” and centered laterally on the available real estate between the mast box and the hull planking. FYI, I used Russell Brown ply hatches which I believe are no longer available.

Even though I am 6’ tall, I can get my head and shoulders, including arms inside, if needed to retrieve stuff that may have migrated far forward, or to work on my electronics wiring which is mostly forward of B-3.

On my other computer I’ll shrink a few photos down to Forum size and post to this reply.

Here is a Forum link that Dan Thompson (bcbimmer) from Victoria BC, started for his build of Lil Tike, #70, I comment on here somewhere about hatches. Dan’s “blog” as such has some great photos and tips. viewtopic.php?p=1812#p1812
Last edited by simeoniii on Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Thank you! I'm looking forward to your insight.
I'm planning to make Russell Brown style hatches based on what I've read.

Rookie question: I've noticed that some builders put glass over their fillets and some don't. I haven't noticed instructions to do so in the manual, so it seems like maybe a belt-and-suspenders type step? I'm all for redundancy, but I'm curious about the cost/benefit analysis here.

Thanks for the blog link.
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Glass tape, 2” wide, easily cut on the bias from scraps left over from glassing the CB. The bias cut leave them easier to form over irregular corners etc. You can buy preformed rolls of tape from Duckworks and other sources but they usually have a hard selvage edge that is difficult to fair in. They are also usually square woven and not bias. When using it over fillets it is best pressed into the formed, still wet fillet, then finish wetting it out with the minimum amount of raw mixed epoxy so as not to mess up the underlying fillet too much.

The only fillet areas that need to be reinforced this way are the inside fillets between the hull bottom and the garboard plank. Also, the vertical fillets on Bulkhead-1 and Bulkhead-8, and the hull planks and the bottom of the BH-8 aft transom. The four vulnerable corners of the boat.

Some have taped both vertical sides of all the Bulkheads (2 - 7) in the short area between the hull bottom and the bottom of plank two but that is way overkill and time consuming and I wouldn’t recommend it.

Some folks also tape the bottom of the plank #2 as that beamy location area is vulnerable to side impacts from docks or other boats :-) I don’t remember if I did. I may have, using the aforementioned belt-and-suspenders adage. Remember it is all extra weight so keep your fillets only as large as structurally needed, and squeegee out all the excess epoxy out of the glass lay-ups you do. Excess resin serves no real structural benefit. Another area to use tape on is the corners of the mast box.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11