525 under construction

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Re: 525 under construction

Post by Jennifer J Harold »

A relief to know your technique aligns with what I thought I understood from previous projects. Helpful insights where the work is/isn't necessary. Thanks for sharing!

Off to a date with some sandpaper...
(Btw, the seat tops fit like a dream. Whew!)
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Good news! Remember to mask up while sanding. Freshly cured epoxy dust is among the worst to inhale. Of course COVID 19 aerosol droplets have set a new standard of bad and bring new meaning to the boatbuilder’s refrain of ”mask up”.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Every time!
The chemistry teacher in me tends to err toward the conservative side on safety.
Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Esteemed builders,

Footwell question:
I noticed that the kit I purchased is set up for the footwell. It comes with an extra bulkhead to fit 18" aft of B5. I didn't pay attention to this at first, so I didn't install it when I glued in B4-7. This bit isn't in the build manual, but it seems fairly straightforward. My thinking:
1. Install the footwell bulkhead so that it lines up at the front edge of the aft cockpit sole piece
2. Cut some 6mm ply and install as a doubler at the bottom of the footwell space
3. Fillet around the edges and up the sides of the footwell space.

What am I forgetting?
Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Another novice SCAMPer question about Carlins this time:

I noticed that there are no CNC notches cut out on B1 for the deck supports or carlins. After looking at the plans, I discovered that the deck support mortices are noted, so I cut those ones out. However, I've seen some builds on this forum that include the ones for carlins, and others that say they it's not necessary for them to reach B1. The question is, can someone help me understand how/where the forward carlins end? Do they get cut off just forward of B2, or do they just sort of hang there, not quite reaching B1 (I've seen 2 photos like that)? From your experience, what's the best way to think about this?

Thanks!
Jennifer
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Jennifer,

You are correct with your plan for the footwell.
As to B-1, the early kits and build had those notches on B-1 but folks had issues lining things up etc. and with Welsford and Rice putting their eyes and hand to it, it was decided to eliminate that run between B-2 and B-1. They are not really needed structurally but they could be left. So, either cut them off just forward of B-2, or let them run all the way to B-1. Builder’s choice I would say.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Thanks! This is helpful
Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Mast trunk.
I borrowed nearly every technique I used from builders on this forum, and they were very effective, so thank you for sharing.

Dry fit in situ, but then took into the garage to build on the table

I added the port and starboard sides of the trunk and the ramp to B3, filleted inside and out (plus mini fillets around the hatch coamings), and glassed over those fillets. I cut out blocks to clamp the sides square while the epoxy worked it's magic.
20201129_141515_compress29.jpg

Anticipating awkward and messy next steps, I masked the forward Y piece and the step before gluing them. I used a 60ml syringe to reach through the mast inspection slot to make fillets. Yes, awkward and messy.
20201202_214537_compress21.jpg
Once the fillets were tacky, I removed the masking and smoothed out the fillets with a gloved finger dipped in alcohol. In this shot, you can see the coin I added to the step prior to building. Its a half-penny from 1967. I like the ship on it. I routed a spot for it and sealed it in epoxy.
20201202_222450_compress61.jpg

Finally, I rounded over the forward corners and the step outside the trunk and glassed those places as well as above the cabin top, and ramp.
It's ready to join the stem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Installed the forward bulkheads today.
I did several steps on the bench in my heated garage in advance:
* beveled the edges of B1
* glued the curved deck support cleat to fwd B2
* built the mast trunk on B3 (previous post)
Today I glued and mounted the stem, the stem support cleats, the athwartship cleats fwd of B4, B1-3 (including mast trunk).
20201115_173331_compress55.jpg
20201125_173335_compress1.jpg
Found some CVG Douglass Fir for gunwhales and carlins in a later step, and had enough to use for cabin top and deck support cleats. Installed those with B1-3.
20201206_135610_compress78.jpg

Fillets are improving with practice,and it's exciting to see a boat emerging from a pile of plywood.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Transom in. I'm impressed by the clamp rigs I've seen some of you create for this. I used my own child labor rigging.
20201208_210223_compress25.jpg
Filled B7. Used the B7 CNC cutouts as a template with guide bushings on the router to create a piece that fit.
20201211_132645_compress61.jpg
Ballast tank and footwell doublers in
20201211_142724_compress72.jpg