525 under construction

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Re: 525 under construction

Post by Jennifer J Harold »

I finally decided to fillet the cb trunk, a task I've been studiously avoiding. I made fillet material and colored it with graphite to match the inside of the trunk, and used a large syringe to direct it into the corners as far down as I could reach. I used a 1/2" radius dowel to push the material down the depth of the trunk. Now the corners are sealed - at least they're more or less invisible!
20201221_152736_compress31.jpg
Before installing the ballast doubler, I routed a counterbore for the drain. Once installed, I drilled the drain hole using a drill guide. Widened the cb pin slot in a similar way.
20201215_145732_compress79.jpg
Cut out the cb pin cap. Used 1/8" EPDM gasket I found as a guide for where to drill the oversized holes for the screws. Waiting for the epoxy to cure in those as we speak.
20201216_211556_compress51.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

I dont know why certain steps feel like bigger landmarks than others, but installing the drain was one of those. Maybe because it was the first piece of hardware. Who knows? Plugging it with a sacrificial glove to protect from epoxy was a good idea. If I were to do it again, I'd also coat the threads with wax or something. Epoxy finds a way.
20201221_153030_compress63.jpg
Speaking of epoxy finding a way, the manual was cute when it said, "Remember not to coat the cleat surfaces where you will later be gluing or else you will have to rough them up at that time." I've just resigned to roughing them up at that time. Working with epoxy is like working with honey - once you've brushed past it a little too close one time, it will find it's way to everything you touch.
Cleats installed. Whew! The tarp is my battle against condensation since I'm building in a portable tarp garage. So far, a light bulb has been sufficient for keeping it warm enough to prevent it raining inside, but I recently switched to a heater so that my epoxy will cure. I anticipated these challenges. S'okay- just plugging away at them.
20201217_213640_compress99.jpg
I spent more time than I care to admit working at the B8 cleat with a plane when I remembered the table saw. One pass with the blade set at the correct angle, and done. Tacked in with picture hanging nails because I didn't have brads.
20201219_183532_compress19.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carsten
New Contributor

Post by Carsten »

Sorry for the question
What do you use to heat your tent?
Electricity, gas, wood, oil heater?
I have had good experience with this heater.

https://www.amazon.de/Triclicks-Standhe ... B07V72XZV8
Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Hi Carsten,
While I'm working with epoxy, I use a kerosene heater, but switch at night to a small electric heater from the local hardware store that is turned up just enough to fight condensation and encourage mice.
ramonred
New Contributor

Post by ramonred »

Hi Jennifer,

your work on #525 is inspiring, thanks for sharing your build with us. I'm getting ready to start #428. I noticed you are using a Milescraft drilling buddy, just about to get one for myself; would you recommend it, has it worked well for you?

Thanks again.
Ramon #428

"...This is not mysticism, but identification; man, building this greatest and most personal of all tools, has in turn received a boat-shaped mind, and the boat, a man-shaped soul.." John Steinbeck The Log from the Sea of Cortez
Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Thank you, Ramon!
The way I view the milescraft is that it steadies my hand. Its not as rigid as a drill press, but if I need a guide to keep my drill angle steady, its far better than freehanding it.
Now you've inspired me to share more pictures soon. Haven't done so recently...been building!
Jenn
ramonred
New Contributor

Post by ramonred »

more pictures! yes

I pick up my kit Tuesday from SCA! can’t wait to get started.
Ramon #428

"...This is not mysticism, but identification; man, building this greatest and most personal of all tools, has in turn received a boat-shaped mind, and the boat, a man-shaped soul.." John Steinbeck The Log from the Sea of Cortez
Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Sweet! I will look forward to hearing about it!
Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Quite a bit is completed since I shared last. I've pretty much taken every opportunity to build what I can on the bench and install later. I've been simultaneously cutting hatches and adding under-side doublers to the sole and seats. For the sole, I cut the hatch holes in the sole doubler slightly wider than the hatches so the hatches can be flush. I also put drainage channels away from the hatches. That part was fun.

I have a kit with the straight sides on b4. I discovered that while not impossible to get the forward sole through after the side planks are hung, it requires strength and coordination, so I just prepped it and clamped it to the cabin top before hanging the planks.
20210212_153058_compress98.jpg
After a friend helped me hang the planks, I added epoxy and painted inside the hatch areas. I adjusted the corners of the forward sole to fit with the fillets and dropped it into place.

Here's the sole fully installed, and the thwart cleats gluing in. I put my seats in place, put the 20mm side of the cleat along the underside of the seat along the longitudinal, and drew a line (this leaves room for a 3/4" thwart seat or bed boards to fit there), then clamped in placebelow the line. I cut 45° off the forward end so I don't catch a shin on it.
20210215_171504_compress68.jpg
20210215_171445_compress35.jpg
I'm pretty sure I'll have an outboard motor, so I used the CNC b6 cutouts from the kit to make an under-seat transom doubler. I dont have a really good photo for that.

A note on hatches. Howard Rice's advice to put as few holes as possible in your boat is sound and important to consider. I would add from my own experience (and I'm not sure he would agree?) that it is also important to take in to consideration how you and your family will use the boat. I have more and larger hatches than would be necessary for many because I want every part of the boat to be as accessible as possible to all of my family who will likely travel with me. I tend to be a bit conservative about which conditions I travel in, so this was a cost/benefit decision for me. I would say not to look at mine or anyone else's hatches as a guide, but rather to consider what is right for your expedition style. I think Duckworks has a recommended set of hatches for SCAMP.
Last edited by Jennifer J Harold on Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Jenn, excellent write-up and photos. Thanks.

Here’s something to consider. I put 2 evenly spaced lateral holes in both of the cabin-top carlins, just aft of the mast ramp and forward of B-4. Mine are 1/2” and chamfered. Very handy to hang things from in the cuddy. I did the same forward between the mast box and B-2 where I put 1 on each side.

Howard recommends drilling some holes around the perimeter, or elsewhere, of the cut-outs in B-2. They could be used for bungees or tie-down lines, or “cargo nets” for securing gear and keeping it in place in the event of a knock-down or capsize. I haven’t done any but I imagine 3/4” might be appropriate. After my build, I later added some low profile eye-straps forward for the same purpose.I wasn’t clever enough to think of the holes idea.

Carry on!
Simeon
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11