525 under construction

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Re: 525 under construction

Post by Jennifer J Harold »

Thanks, Simeon
I like that. Maybe I'll look at that today. Do you have any photos of that?
I like Howard’s idea too, but I think I'm going to use pad eyes for the same purpose. I'm also looking forward to seeing how b6 and 7 look after his modification for oar stowage!
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Yes, I was out in my cold garage this morning to look at what size holes I had drilled. I thought about photos but didn’t have my cellphone with me. I’ll take a couple of shots later today. Done, now I’ll see if I can post them. In the cuddy, three yearsafter launching, I retrofitted a mast ramp. That’s why you see that odd placement of holes that got blanked off by the ramp.
C90F7951-3033-4F77-97E3-14537EDCE48B.jpeg
58A2DC93-F1EB-4CB9-A1D2-4E22A9A7B152.jpeg
AE0AC74B-8224-4604-8B8A-EFB7C396CFD2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Hi Simeon, thanks!
Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Random project. I like Lord of the Rings, so I wanted Leaves of Lorien turn dogs for my B3 hatches. I attached a line drawing to brass bar stock and used my Dremel to cut out the general shape.
20210222_023242.jpg
Then I snuck up on the final shape and softened the edges with the bench grinder, and etched the leaves with the Dremel. I backed them with thin nylon cutting board material and drilled holes for the machine screws. I'll use lock nuts to hold them in place.
Now the boat can have an elegant elvish flare :D !
20210221_193103_compress67.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Elegant indeed. Full marks.
Rigid enough to maintain adequate clamping pressure for the gasket. Well done!

BOW-EYE

Jennifer, I thought I’d seen a query from you regarding bow-eye fittings. I can’t find the post now. Yes, you need to get that done before the deck goes on. I used a bronze eye from the Port Townsend Foundry (Pete & Kathy). It’s a bit pricey but looks great. The make them up to order from off the shelf pieces I think. The eye is a bit small (3/4”D???) and they add a 3” long piece of threaded stock. You need to cut away the stem, use a hardwood backer, and it wouldn’t hurt to reinforcethe whole surrounding area with FG tape.

Others have used a ss U-bolt type. I see no preference. Here are a few photos.
Last edited by simeoniii on Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Spike A
Regular Contributor

Post by Spike A »

Wow, great job. I'm sure others my be inspired by these. "Not lightly do the leaves of Lorien fall."
Mike
Luna Gig Harbor Scamp #462
Selway Fisher 50/50 Sailing Canoe
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

BOW-EYE -more photos-
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Thanks Simeon!
(And Spike - nice reference!)

Yes, I originally had a bow eye question, and I was considering a pretty one like yours, but I removed the question thinking that a u-bolt will be easiest to install right now. I waffle. I'm all for aesthetics, but definitely care more about what I can see while on board.. the rest just needs to be functional. And I'm pretty sure that I'd need to build up my cleats more to accommodate one with a single post. I'll stare at it once more before committing.
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Good then. Glad to hear you removed the post. I thought I’d been seeing things :-)
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Marc
Regular Contributor

Post by Marc »

Jennifer J Harold wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:54 am
Pouring lead was fun. I made a video for my chemistry students while I was at it. We're studying heating curves and state changes... good timing. (I put on the respirator for the actual heating/pouring process.)
20200920_170601_compress17.jpg

I decided to make the rudder at the same time...already set up for it in my small space, so why not? Dug out my grandpa's old work bench with the vise - I think the last time it was opened was by him.
20201009_140805_compress84.jpg

Foils complete except for hardware and fiddly stuff. Later.
20201011_221132_compress78.jpg
Hi Jennifer

I am building # 319 and am about to glass the foils. Bought graphite and I see your centerboard is black. How did you proceed with all these angles ? One side at a time flat on table? Clamped on it s side and both sides simultaneously? One sheet of glass or two? If two epoxy between or both sheets epoxied together?...
I would rather not improvise and your advice would be appreciated.
Thank you
Marc Boulanger