Oar basics

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

dndrich
Regular Contributor

Oar basics

Post by dndrich »

Fellow SCAMPers:

#330 will be in the water fairly soon I think. Nearing completion. I posted this on John's Facebook page, but perhaps I will get what I need here. I know nothing about rowing.

I have the two piece Gig Harbor carbon fiber oars. I also have Perko bronze closed loop oar locks with an edge mount on the coaming. The oar locks appear to have a hole on the bottom for some kind of clip or lanyard so you don't lose them.

Now, my questions are really basic here about setup. How are the oars deployed underway? Do I leave the round oar locks in the mounts all the time? If so, seems like I need to put in a clip or something so they are not lost?

And, with these round oar locks, how do I set it up? If they are already in the mounts, it seems like I have to insert the blade end from outside in, and then assemble the oar.

So, please, for those of you doing this, what is your routine, and how do I manage these round oar locks?
Daniel
SCAMP #330 Wildflower
Sebastopol, CA USA
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Oar basics

Post by simeoniii »

I’ve answered this query of Dan’s on John Welsford Small Craft Design Facebook site.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/JWDesig ... 524527393/
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11