Gig Harbor Boatworks hull #1 for sale

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Watermark
New Contributor

Gig Harbor Boatworks hull #1 for sale

Post by Watermark »

I’m posting here about our SCAMP for two reasons, one self serving, we’ve decided to put our boat up for sale and these posts will outline how it has been fitted out and what goes with it and secondly, for those that own a SCAMP, what I’ve done to outfit it for safe convenient solo or two up cruising.
This is the first fiberglass production version of SCAMP from Gig Harbor Boatworks and is named Klompen. We purchased it in the Spring of 2017 from them and It came very well equipped for cruising when we got it but hanging out with Simeon Baldwin and saw the way he setup his boat Noddy for serious cruising, I incorporated several ideas from his boat in Klompen as well as some ideas Howard Rice gave us.
We’ve done several trips in her on the Columbia, in Oregon, and Peugeot Sound but sad to say I never got out once this last year in SCAMP. We signed up for the Salish 100 but Marty told us too many registered and I dropped out. I shifted gears to doing more backpacking and bikepacking instead of “boatpacking” in SCAMP. I don’t like the idea of it just sitting I’m my garage not being used as it was meant too so decided someone should do so for what she was intended for: serious coastal dinghy cruising. This probably is not a good choice for someone who only intends to day sail and isn’t interested in sleeping aboard or doing multi day trips but if that’s ones goal, I’ve never seen a better equipped SCAMP (other than Noddy or Howard boat) for that purpose.
If the way I’ve set this up gives other owners of SCAMP. ideas as to what they might consider doing to their boat, I hope this is of value to them.
We are currently away from our home base in Redmond Oregon (where the boat is garaged and has been garaged since we got her) and down in Arizona till April 1st, but I wanted to post this and will continue to post additional pictures and posts about specific items I added when we return home. If anyone is interested in the boat or has questions about my setup to use for their boat, I can be reached on my cell number 720-560-1178.
Here is the list of what is on the boat currently and what goes with it as well as prices of what it would cost new to duplicate the same:

Gig Harbor options:
A new basIc SCAMP -$14695
Floor hatch-$495
SS grounding keel strips $595
Wood sheer strip &1095
Bronze portlights $395
Bimini/cockpit tent $2895
Main sheet cleat $149
Outboard bracket $319
Richie compass with light $125
Reboarding stirrup $125
Tiller extension $159
Vinyl spar bags $195
Fenders $139
Boat cover $795
Trailer $1795
Total Gig Harbor prices from their website $23,971
Non GHB additional gear:
Whale Gusher 10 with custom mount $100
Low configuration bivy cockpit tent $500
EPIRB $250
Cooler $50
60 series Garmin gps and bulkhead mount $180
VHF handheld with bulkhead holder $90
Lehr 2.5 HP propane outboard $1200
Custom cockpit collapsible platform $100
Foam cockpit cushions $80
Tiller lock $50
Mantis stainless anchor and rode $400
Danforth anchor and rode $80
Safety harness $120
Jackline $100
Lowrance gps $450
AGM battery and case $100
Butane single burner stove $35
5 gal water bladder $20
Sawyer Collapsable composite Oars mounted below seats $600
Expedition sleeping air pad $129
Tiller cover $40
New complete spare rudder $500
2-inflatable Duckworks boat rollers $134
Switch panel and USB charge ports $50
LED mast light $50
PVC “poop tube” -$15
10 watt solar flex panel and solar controller - $140
Total replacement cost new for everything - $29,784
There are probably several other things that go with it that I’ve forgotten and will update when we return in April.

My top priorities in setting the boat up for cruising was safety, convenience, and livability onboard.
Klompen was in excellent condition when we bought her in 2017 and in addition to adding to the gear she came with we have done the little bit of touch up needed cosmetically speaking since and is basically in like new condition.
If someone has dreams of taking the ultimate dinghy cruiser to Desolation Sound, or Baja or the Keys (as we intended too!) this is a turn key boat, just add drysuit, food, water and sleeping bag!
I tried to load pictures to this post but I keep getting “file too big” so I will need to figure out how to reduce the file size and post them in subsequent posts. More to follow.
Watermark
New Contributor

Re: Gig Harbor Boatworks hull #1 for sale

Post by Watermark »

After a friend suggested a photo compression app (thx Dave) I can post some pics of the boat now. These don’t necessarily reflect what’s on the boat currently and when we return home I will post some current pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watermark
New Contributor

Post by Watermark »

Price drop to $14,000. We will be back in Oregon be Monday. Feel free to call with any questions.
jmc
New Contributor

Post by jmc »

If you did not sell and are still interested, please message me.
Watermark
New Contributor

Post by Watermark »

We sold our SCAMP in 2021.