Some thoughts on reefing

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

bei.beckers
Regular Contributor

Re: Some thoughts on reefing

Post by bei.beckers »

Hi Simeon,

OK, that makes sense to me. I just didn't think about depowering my sail when reefing. :oops:
That's what happens to total beginners trying to build a nice boat for themselfes. At least I'm glad I asked you before I "improved" my rig.

Thanks for tutoring!

best, Martin
Last edited by bei.beckers on Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Martin,

Have you read Brent’s take on reefing. He only has one line to the luff and leech reef grommets.

https://buildinghagoth.wordpress.com/category/rigging/

It should work okay but when reefing under sail in a good blow, you only have a single part purchase when hauling in the lines. When it’s breezy I appreciate the 2-part action even though there is more excess line to deal with when reefed.

I made a couple of open topped bags that are Velcro strapped to the boom to stuff the forward and aft set of lines in after they are cleated.
Straps at either end of the pouch bag to secure to boom. The one in the middle just secures the bag closed. Shown is the forward bag.
Attachments
img_2438.jpg
img_2438.jpg (201.52 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Here’s a SCAMP video from New Zealand. Right about 2 minutes into the video the SCAMP up ahead puts in the first reef while underway.

https://youtu.be/IVMeatDGFn0
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11