Is there room for a Scamp in my life?

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Ekorn
New Contributor

Is there room for a Scamp in my life?

Post by Ekorn »

Hi guys and gals!

I'm at a point in life where I ask myself a lot of the big questions.
And one of the most important, naturally: Which boat to own?
I hope you will let me ask some questions about the Scamp!

Background:
Today I share a 33' 1930's cutter with three other. Even so, I tend to spend more time prepping it each year, than I spend sailing. It's fantastic to sail with a competent crew, and proporsionally pulse-triggering to sail it without.
It's 3,5 tonnes and engineless, acting like a dinghy. I'm sad to say I'm not the man to singlehand her im comfort. Less so, with my three year old daughter along - which I want to be doing a lot more.

Maybe I'll be content with my Mirror-dinghy for many years to come, but then again There's the Scamp, which I fancy a lot and makes sense to my form of Pottery-sailing on so many levels. But what is the Scamp, really? I hope you would help me understand and see my own misunderstandings. Afterall, one of the things that i find sympatethic about the boat is its strong following and community, so here I am; joining into it.

Questions:

1. Is it a family boat? Can a family fit in there? What about friends that want to come along as well - and Maybe their kids? What is the most extreme number of people you've put in the boat on a calm sunny day? And what about comfort?
How old must your kids be before handling it on their own? Can me and my daughter actually fit in the cabin, sleeping both of us? She's particularly into collecting big branches and is not particularly sorted or tidy.

2. When is it too much wind? Would be interested to know, both for sailing riskseekingly alone or sailing safely?

3. Same as above, but for waves. How big a wave is enough for the little ship? Where I want to take her the sea can build 10-20m high on the worst of weather and situations, but more likely between 0,2-2m.

4. Does the boat keep you intrigued? Is it a boat you can live with and grow into, always leaving you with something to be learned or experience in a new way? Do you miss sailing her when not?

5. How effective is the ballast, say, compared to the Thread Lightly?

6. Has anoyone gotten a wooden Scamp professionally built? Or know of anyone willing to be undertaking such a job in Europe (or another place where they also will be able to ship it to Europe). Would you consider this to be less expensive than the Gig-Harbour edition, or more expensive?

7. What is the yearly maintenance you do on your wooden-Scamps?

8. What is your average rigging time?

9. Is it a safe boat? Like, what Kind of sailing would you allow yourself, if you where to bring a not so experience wife and Maybe two kids?

A whole bunch of questions, I know, but I live in a part of the world which seem not yet have discovered the art of sailing and cruising small boats. Maybe there's a reason to it, but then again I would really appreciate your refreshing answers!

Thanks!!!
bei.beckers
Regular Contributor

Re: Is there room for a Scamp in my life?

Post by bei.beckers »

Hi Ekorn.

i'm Martin from Germany. I'm quite new with sailing- but i love it and so i decided to build my own Scamp. I didn't finish it yet, but seeing that there are no responses on your question i'll try my best (having asked myself similar questions when choosing the "right" boat for me):

1. I think within quiet conditions you can sail half a day (or with more relaxed kids then mine) one day with 2 adults, 2 kids or even 4 adults maybe. The seat height is about 240mm, so it is good to have your legs free to stretch them. In case you decide to go with a footwell, the sitting height is more comfortable, but all crew is to be arranged around the footwell in this case. A scamp is not a ferry... ;)
Sailing scamp is not a big deal, so any kid able to sail with a jolly-boat can do.
The "cabin" is just a small open "roof"- sitting under an small table is a picture maybe. So if you don't want to sleep under the stars, you'll need to sew a tent. If there are 2 pepole to accommodate, you need fillers inbetween the seats.

2. Depends on your skills. One managed to sail a Scamp through Street of Maghellan!
Reefing instructions tells: 1Force 4 = 1st reef, Force 5 = 2nd reef, Force 6 = 3rd reef.

3. No idea...

4. I spuppose so, that's why i build it... No experience yet.

5. I don't know if anybody can tell that but John Welsford himself. Scamp is based on Thread Lightly design, so i guess he didn't worse the secound time... Scamp is the much more popular design, it is hard to find information about Thread Lightly.

6. So you live in Europe? Ekorn sounded quite Scandinavian to me...
If you let a Scamp build on a shipyard- that will be very expensive. I guess far over 10k€. There is a company milling a kit: https://boatkits.eu/ I bought my kit there. Saves a lot of time! Building it yourself is an unique experiance.

7. Depends on what you are doing: My scamp will live in my garage, so i just have a look for damage in the coating and give 2 layers of varnish on mast and spares every secound year. Having the boat outside in the ocean all year long is a completly other thing...

8. I`d guess: <10 min. I choosed it for fast trailering :D

9. Some more than you can manage with a jolly- boat. But Scamp is no keel boat. Capsize is possible. I wouldn't take my kid on the baltic sea when weather forecast is not good.

good look, Martin
Friends with SCAMPS
Major Contributor

Post by Friends with SCAMPS »

Welcome! My guess is you will soon be building or buying a SCAMP. SCAMP is a very big little boat. I suggest you go all the way back to page one of this forum and read through the threads. Treat it like binge watching reality TV or something. You can of course skip the minutea that bore you, but, you will find more than one thread to address each of your questions. You'll see many pictures of SCAMPs in production and in use. Have fun, and keep us posted.
Ekorn
New Contributor

Post by Ekorn »

Thanks for the replies, guys!

I actually stumbled upon your Søsyg on segeln-forum Martin! One of few public self-building in Europe, I guess!!

I read my post once more and think, wow! That's a lot of questions!
I don't blame anyone if put out by it and hesitate to answer. I've done some reading.

Boat building isn't for me just now. I've done it before and loved it. However There's a time for everything, and now is for imminent sailing.

I live outside the EU, but in the EEA. This makes importing difficult. I've talked to GHBoats. They say everything is fine with the CE-certification without quite answering my conserns. I don't get quite the impression that they grasp the full complexity of it and although we haven't talked in detail, I doubt they have say, instruction manual in my native tongue. Too many of these little things I risk losing my boat and money on import. In worst case also prosecuted, if reading the law literally.

And the money! It will cost me 21 000€ after VAT, shipping.
Ive found a builder in Poland willing to do a first-class epoxy build for about the same. No CE-certification, but I would be avle to sail her across the border!

I havent decided.but the money involved and the fact that I haven't tried her already?
Friends with SCAMPS
Major Contributor

Post by Friends with SCAMPS »

Have you seen the map of SCAMPs and where they are? Are there any finished near you? Maybe you could get in touch with their owners through SCA and ask for a sail?
Ekorn
New Contributor

Post by Ekorn »

Thanks! I've seen the map. There are some who have ordered the plans. But SCA couldn't help me getting in touch with them. I have my doubts that they are under building. If they are, they are very very underground, secretly built, far from any scandinavian forum or group.

It is a pity. I think a local european fiberglass producer, or at least an european tour showing off the Scamp from time to time, would really help the Scamp win some ground in Europe. In Norway I think the Scamp would be really hard to sell, but not so much in Denmark and Sweden where they fit more into the existing boating culture. My humble opinion, and also a concern about Resell value.
Timo
Regular Contributor

Post by Timo »

Great questions Ekorn, and it would be interesting to read more answers from those who have sailed Scamps. In case of small sailing crafts, their suitability for family sailing depends on the skipper, his family and the sailing environment. To me waves of 10-20 meters sound like a nightmare.
Sailing Wayfarer #8188 Sarastus and building Scamp #371 Merisirri in Finland
Martti
New Contributor

Post by Martti »

Terve Timo, tiedätkö onko tämä Ekorn jo toteuttanut Scamp-haaveensa? Ellei, niin hänelle ehkä voisi suositella sitä minun Viron rakentajaani. Selvisikö sinulle, mistä maasta Ekorn on kotoisin?

t. Martti
kanusport
New Contributor

Post by kanusport »

I’ll preclude my comments with this caveat, I’ve only had my scamp since November and have sailed it less then a dozen times. That said half of those times have been partially or fully reefed due to the nature of the small mountain lakes and reservoirs I’m sailing.

1. The boat is basically mostly cockpit. I’d say you could have 4 people on boat and still sail. The veranda will protect you from wind and some weather. No cabin unless you are the size of a cat.

2. When is it too much wind? Would be interested to know, both for sailing riskseekingly alone or sailing safely?

It depends of you risk comfort level. I wear a dry suit and have re-entry lines affixed and for me so far it’s been when the winds are in excess of 30mph whole sailing alone.

3. Same as above, but for waves. How big a wave is enough for the little ship? Where I want to take her the sea can build 10-20m high on the worst of weather and situations, but more likely between 0,2-2m.
Where I sail so far the only big waves I’ve been in were when I was under engine power after dropping sail due to the wind and wind driven waves on the little mountain lake I sail. The boat behaved in a 3ft following sea under engine power. I remember The sea state was over the transom in terms of height.

4. Does the boat keep you intrigued? Is it a boat you can live with and grow into, always leaving you with something to be learned or experience in a new way? Do you miss sailing her when not?
So far.I have plans to camp and explore in the boat.

Seems adequate.

6. Has anoyone gotten a wooden Scamp professionally built? Or know of anyone willing to be undertaking such a job in Europe (or another place where they also will be able to ship it to Europe). Would you consider this to be less expensive than the Gig-Harbour edition, or more expensive?
I have a used Gig Harbor 2018. I paid @13000 it is a well optioned boat with trailer and Honda engine.

NA but any boat requires constant maintenance.
@45 -60 mins so far but it could be more or less. That includes the time it takes me to put on my sailing gear. I think it could be much less if I wanted it to be.

9. Is it a safe boat? Like, what Kind of sailing would you allow yourself, if you where to bring a not so experience wife and Maybe two kids? I think it’s as safe as a 12’ dingy can be.
kanusport
New Contributor

Post by kanusport »

I’ll preclude my comments with this caveat, I’ve only had my scamp since November and have sailed it less then a dozen times. That said half of those times have been partially or fully reefed due to the nature of the small mountain lakes and reservoirs I’m sailing.

1. The boat is basically mostly cockpit. I’d say you could have 4 people on boat and still sail. The veranda will protect you from wind and some weather. No cabin unless you are the size of a cat.

It depends of you risk comfort level. I wear a dry suit and have re-entry lines affixed and for me so far it’s been when the winds are in excess of 30mph while sailing alone.

So far the only big waves I’ve been in were when I was under engine power after dropping sail due to the wind and wind driven waves on the little mountain lake I sail. The boat behaved in a 3ft following sea under engine power. I remember The sea state was over the transom in terms of height.

It’s an amazing little boat So far.I have plans to camp and explore in the boat.

Seems adequate.

I have a used Gig Harbor 2018. I paid @13000 it is a well optioned boat with trailer and Honda engine.

NA but any boat requires constant maintenance.

@45 -60 mins so far but it could be more or less. That includes the time it takes me to put on my sailing gear. I think it could be much less if I wanted it to be.

9. Is it a safe boat? Like, what Kind of sailing would you allow yourself, if you where to bring a not so experience wife and Maybe two kids?

I think it’s as safe as a 12’ dingy can be.

A video of my scamp 12: https://youtu.be/67jWyGAsfTA