Scamp #337 - Novice, Plans Build (Formally "Introducing")

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

GregWads
Regular Contributor

Scamp #337 - Novice, Plans Build (Formally "Introducing")

Post by GregWads »

The 2 boat buck pile on the floor is the result of a road trip to Madison Wis. It is 9 sheets of 9mm, 6 sheets of 6mm okoume Ply and two rough sawn pieces of Sitka spruce 1in x 10in x 16ft and 1in x 6in x 17ft for making the mast & spars. Some scarfing will be required. This stuff is pretty pricey here in the Midwest, so all of the cleats will likely be Douglas fir or something else, which is a lot easier to find. The extra 6mm ply is for making the Centerboard & Rudder, using 6 pieces for each. Using the foils on the plans as a guide, I used Draftsight to draw up profiles of the blades to give me a rough contour.

Not shown in the photo is 1 boat buck, box of epoxy & fillers and the 1/2 plate steel for the centerboard and rudder.

Edited thread name (13 Sep 2018)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GregWads on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Re: Introducing Scamp #337

Post by Rob Hazard »

Some assembly required...

Be sure to refer to this forum with any questions. There's been a LOT of crowd-sourcing on the details of this little boat.

It'll be worth it! :^)
Jason Builder
Regular Contributor

Post by Jason Builder »

Way to go! Another Wisconsin Scamper! Good luck. Congrats on taking on a very rewarding project.

-Jason
-Jason

Builder of SCAMP#349 "Argo": Build log at http://www.argobuilder.com
Caretaker of these fine ships:
-SCAMP "Argo"
-1981 Compac 16 Pilothouse "Lillyanna"
-Old Towne 16' Canoe
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

Hi Jason,
Sorry, not another Wisconsin Scamper. My neck of the woods is approximately where Interstate-80 crosses the Mississippi River. I purchased the wood and epoxy from McCormick Lumber in Madison WI.
Jason Builder
Regular Contributor

Post by Jason Builder »

Aha, well congrats on starting the SCAMP, I drove over to McCormick for my Sitka. Hope you enjoyed the drive. Good luck with your project!

Jason
-Jason

Builder of SCAMP#349 "Argo": Build log at http://www.argobuilder.com
Caretaker of these fine ships:
-SCAMP "Argo"
-1981 Compac 16 Pilothouse "Lillyanna"
-Old Towne 16' Canoe
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

Thanks, It was indeed a nice drive. We stopped at the Grumpy Troll in Mt Horeb on the way home. Since I had finished my portion of the driving, it was my great pleasure to down a pint with my lunch.

Good stuff!
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

Well it is no longer a Pile of Plywood.

I don't have the room to keep a cutting table and build a boat. I also don't have the room to store the table. So I found plans on the internet and built a collapse-able table.
20180820_171930.jpg
The Centerboard will be made of 6 pieces of 6mm ply, with a 22lb 1/2 inch steel billet sandwiched in the middle.
20180907_142746.jpg
One half of the board on the setup cutting table. I know the leading edges are a bit wavy, but the wavy part is outside of the drawing line. I plan to get rid of the waves before shaping the blade.

Question: I intend to use Epoxy to join the two finished halves and Steel. Do I need to use epoxy to glue the blanks together or can I use a good exterior grade glue like Titebond III? The entire board will be encased in Epoxy and Fiberglass cloth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Re: Scamp #337 - Novice, Plans Build (Formally "Introducing"

Post by ericleif »

FWIW, if it were me, I’d use epoxy for everything. I’d roll it on unthickened until the wood surfaces are saturated, and then coat with thickened epoxy and clamp.
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

Centerboard half after 45 minutes of quality time with the mighty Shinto Rasp.
20181009_210716s.jpg
The rasp generates copious amounts of fairly fine saw dust. So far about 1/3 of a coffee can. Can I use this sawdust as woodflour?
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

She is Now 3D (sort of).

I built a Jig to support the Centerboard while glassing. The jig allows me to flip the board back and forth to do each side.
CenterboardGlassingJig.jpg
I modified the building base somewhat, so that it does not get in the way of putting a rolling bevel the bottom panel.
IntialDryfitting.jpg
IntialDryfittingSide.jpg
I know the plans & instructions say not to bevel the bottom. But since I am building from plans, I intend to make the garboard strake a little wider to allow for the bevel. I cut the bottom panel about 10 mm wider on each side to allow material beveling. Just like I cut frames #6 and #7 wider by 5mm to allow them to be beveled. According to the plans the dimensions of the frames are given at the rear face. Therefore only #6 # 7 need to be made wider. The frames forward of 5 will be beveled to the dimension of rear face.