SCAMP #457 build at Lake Chapala Mexico

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

steve71
Regular Contributor

Re: SCAMP #457 build at Lake Chapala Mexico

Post by steve71 »

Very slow progress at the moment. However have reached the stage where the cockpit sole is in place and where I am about to put in the carlines. I think I will skip any photos as builders may shudder at what they see!
steve71
Regular Contributor

Post by steve71 »

Just saying that I am still at it. Got to the point where I am getting ready to glass the hull. Also am working on the mast as well. I have adopted the fact that I am building a boat and not a watch which has helped with a few hurdles along the way!
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

steve71 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:08 pm
Just saying that I am still at it. ...
Keep plugging away Steve!!
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
steve71
Regular Contributor

Post by steve71 »

Thanks mate!
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

Hey Steve,

Somethimes life gets in the way. I started building #337 about the same time as you began #457.

I have just finished gluing the skegs onto my boat. I am contemplating putting on a thickend coat of epoxy and microballons, say yellow mustard consistency, to fill the low spots, fiberglass holidays and the few places where I have lightly sanded into the edges of the fiberglass weave of the upper planks when feathering the overlaps. I fiberglassed all of the planks to try and combat dock rash and ended up with some holidays.

Cheers,
Greg.
steve71
Regular Contributor

Post by steve71 »

Hi Greg,
Glad to know I am in company with someone else plodding along. Sounds like you are a little ahead of me. Getting ready to glass the hull and then fill in some obvious dips in the hull. BTW am making my birdsmouth mast as well. Using a pvc pipe as the core.

All the best,
Steve
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

Hi Steve,

I wish you well on your mast build. I bought the spurce to build the mast and spars, but have not started on them. There are two voices on my shoulder regarding the mast. One says build a birdsmouth it would be challengeing and fun. The other is saying, you have had enough challenge just getting this far, keep it simple and laminate up a solid mast, the difference in weight would be that of a couple of the staves for a birdsmouth.

Cheers,
Greg.