SCAMP #457 build at Lake Chapala Mexico

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

steve71
Regular Contributor

Re: SCAMP #457 build at Lake Chapala Mexico

Post by steve71 »

Very slow progress at the moment. However have reached the stage where the cockpit sole is in place and where I am about to put in the carlines. I think I will skip any photos as builders may shudder at what they see!
steve71
Regular Contributor

Post by steve71 »

Just saying that I am still at it. Got to the point where I am getting ready to glass the hull. Also am working on the mast as well. I have adopted the fact that I am building a boat and not a watch which has helped with a few hurdles along the way!
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

steve71 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:08 pm
Just saying that I am still at it. ...
Keep plugging away Steve!!
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
steve71
Regular Contributor

Post by steve71 »

Thanks mate!
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

Hey Steve,

Somethimes life gets in the way. I started building #337 about the same time as you began #457.

I have just finished gluing the skegs onto my boat. I am contemplating putting on a thickend coat of epoxy and microballons, say yellow mustard consistency, to fill the low spots, fiberglass holidays and the few places where I have lightly sanded into the edges of the fiberglass weave of the upper planks when feathering the overlaps. I fiberglassed all of the planks to try and combat dock rash and ended up with some holidays.

Cheers,
Greg.
steve71
Regular Contributor

Post by steve71 »

Hi Greg,
Glad to know I am in company with someone else plodding along. Sounds like you are a little ahead of me. Getting ready to glass the hull and then fill in some obvious dips in the hull. BTW am making my birdsmouth mast as well. Using a pvc pipe as the core.

All the best,
Steve
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

Hi Steve,

I wish you well on your mast build. I bought the spurce to build the mast and spars, but have not started on them. There are two voices on my shoulder regarding the mast. One says build a birdsmouth it would be challengeing and fun. The other is saying, you have had enough challenge just getting this far, keep it simple and laminate up a solid mast, the difference in weight would be that of a couple of the staves for a birdsmouth.

Cheers,
Greg.
steve71
Regular Contributor

Post by steve71 »

Hey there Greg!
Interested to know what mast you have decided to go with.
My birdsmouth was a challenge for sure. Still not finished with getting it tapered. (I would have been better off with a solid wood mast)
Just curious about whether or not I am supposed to fibereglass all three strakes or just the garboard strake. Something tells me it is just the garboard one. Have not seen any mention of all 3 strakes in any info I have checked.
Got any idea?
Cheers,
Steve
steve71
Regular Contributor

Post by steve71 »

Hi Greg,
Good idea to do all three like your doing anyway. Makes sense! Might just stay with the bottom, garboard and the ends for now before I run out of epoxy for the umpteenth time!
Cheers,
Steve
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

Hello Steve,
From what I found, the recommendation is to glass only the bottom and garboard. Knowing how docks love to chew on boats no matter how well you think the fenders are placed. It just seemed like a good idea. I saw a couple of other builders on the internet had glassed the bottom and all three planks. I used 7 seperate peices of fiberglass. One for the bottom and three for each side.

I failed to get the fiberglass to bend over laps as well as I wanted. I saw one builder put a small fillet of thickened epoxy in the hollow of the joint prior to glassing. I tried this, but realized I had not suffeintly rounded the edge of the planks and also I do not believe I let the fillet cure enough before applying the glass. I used painter tape to give me a 2 inch overlap of glass 2 inches on each side of the lap joint. Before the epoxy/glass was fully cured I used a razor blade to cut along the tape line leaveing a nice clean line. Then hot-coated each piece of glass with two coats of epoxy on top of the initial coat to make sure that I filled the weave, also applying two coats of the epoxy over the bare wood of the next plank, so that when I came back and feathed the edge, I would not be sanding soft bare wood. I waited for the epoxy to cure on each piece of glass before feathering the edges with a sander and applying an overlapping peice.

The glass is not structural for the joints of the upper two planks and is really only there to protect the sides. Also my holidays didn't line up on top of each other so I still have a least one layer of glass.

Hope this helps.