Easy Chair for SCAMP

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Easy Chair for SCAMP

Post by Rob Hazard »

This probably is not original with me, but:

It occurred to me that the 17 x 28.5" plywood footwell cover panel, which does double duty as a rowing thwart, and triple duty as a dining table, can also be propped against Bulkhead 3 and make a pretty good approximation of the back of an Adirondack chair. All you need then is a foam pad cut to the seat angle, and the humble SCAMP will have the most luxurious easy chair of any small boat in the world, perfect for reading, birdwatching, or enjoying the sunset with a glass of wine.

I have tried using the panel as a backrest and it's just what I'd hoped. Now I'm headed out to the barn to see what I've got in the way of Minicell foam scraps to make a seat.

Yet another reason for all SCAMPs to have footwells! :^D
Brent65
Major Contributor

Re: Easy Chair for SCAMP

Post by Brent65 »

Rob,

A most excellent idea indeed. I placed my footwell grate up against a wall (bulkhead 3 not yet installed) and found an 18-20 degree angle to be most comfortable. Now looking for ideas of how to achieve a 5-10 degree seat angle to match an Adirondack chair.

Thanks for the great suggestion
Brent Butikofer

Scamp: Hagoth
https://buildinghagoth.wordpress.com

Scamp: Shackleton
https://buildingshackelton.wordpress.com

Pocketship:
https://idahopocketship.wordpress.com

Never Stop Learning or Exploring
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Post by Rob Hazard »

Thanks, Brent,
This afternoon I've been experimenting with using stuff that's already in the boat. To brace the footwell panel in place as a backrest I took the tiller and laid it across the cuddy sole against Bulkhead 4, then propped up the the footwell panel between that and Bulkhead 3. That makes a bit too low of an angle, so it feels slouchy, but I'll stick with it for the moment.

I couldn't find any Minicell scraps that worked for a seat, so I tried using my large size Russell Brown hatch lid shimmed up with a couple small strips of 1" foam across the aft edge, which feels pretty good, if not quite perfect.

So now I've got a fairly comfortable Adirondack-ey feeling setup using almost nothing that wasn't already part of the boat. Just the 2 bits of foam.

I'll see how it works on the water before I go getting complicated.
Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

Ron , You know if it doesn't have pictures it doesn't exist.
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Post by Rob Hazard »

I found an old picture of an early version of my chair idea. I have since glued a couple small cleats to the cockpit sole to locate the seat back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Post by Rob Hazard »

Here's a shot of me sitting in the chair.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marc
Regular Contributor

Post by Marc »

Rob
What a great idea.
I see you have the straight sides at th bulkhead. Would you rather more elbow room and cut out or is it to your liking?
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Marc, the straight sides of bulkhead-4 are a re-design option for the new CNC kits. The former design as shown on the plans is more pleasing to the eye and does perhaps give more freedom when sitting in the cuddy. It is however a safer option to have straight sides in the event of a capsize. The SCAMP floats high on its side when the mast and sail is laying on the water and the straight sided B-4 helps prevent water from flowing forward along the seat top and into the forward cuddy space. Also, it gives a lot of nice storage options on the foward side of the bulkhead.
Think about the SCAMP laying on its side...
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Post by Rob Hazard »

Marc,
I modified the opening in the #4 bulkhead after reading about the change here on the website. While it does give the seated position a more closed-in feeling, I prefer the narrower opening, for the reasons that Simeon gives in his reply.
I now have added a pair of mounts for a handheld GPS on the aft side of the bulkhead, one for each tack, and inside the cuddy I now have stowage for a knife and a pair of binoculars.
Marc
Regular Contributor

Post by Marc »

I will go with the narrow option. It happens I have been sailing a Flying Scot forever and it occurred to me it has precisely this seat /bulkhead configuration where, even if capsized, no water can get into the front because the whole boat is molded together at the seat and bulkhead junction equivalent to Scamp's BH4.
It gives a tremendous amount of confidence with strong winds as you can heel the boat as much as you want and the water won t get in. Actually water gets into the FScot when flatter and slicing waves. This passive safety certainly got me sailing in conditions I would not have tried with another boat. Coming back to the Scamp the safer configuration also provides backrests looking aft.
Also if it is too tight, I can still widen one side, or make a little swing -open from the inside the cuddy - "door" ( that would be cute and maintain the safe advantage) or outright have a full opening.
Finally but not the least it seems to me the cuddy must be more protected from wind and bad weather.

The handles top and sides to keep rain and splash out of the cuddy and provide a better hold is a great idea. Same aft.