Scamp Build in Kansas!

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

ericleif
Major Contributor

Re: Scamp Build in Kansas!

Post by ericleif »

IMG_3014.jpg
Carlins are on! I struggled with them for sure. I wish I had easy access to Sitka Spruce. I am using Douglas Fir instead. Doug Fir studs are sold at the local Home Depot for cheap. It's not my favorite wood. It's splintery, and hard to bend/twist. I really had to wrassal' those strips into place, but it does seem strong. At this point, I estimate there are 3 gazillion screws in this boat.

The backing plates for horn cleats were glued in before the deck. Scrap wood strips covered with packing tape and a dab of hot glue kept them flush while epoxy cured.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

More mini-monumental moments: Deck is on! Cabin sides gluing!

I just love Ash (cabin top cleats). It's dense, flexible and kind of buttery to plane. I am going to leave a bit of it bright finished.
IMG_3059.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

I...couldn't find port lights or rings, so I made my own out of 316 stainless steel for the outside and permanently epoxied wood rings on the inside. This didn't make much sense, but I just really, really wanted shiny windows..I HAD to have shiny windows for this cute little boat.

Cutting out:
IMG_3489.jpg
Refining a bit:
IMG_3491.jpg
and all polished up:
IMG_3499.jpg
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Inside cabin:
IMG_3807.JPG
The wooden ring was epoxy on and then the hole cut. Then a lip was created by routing out enough space between the S.S. ring and the inside wood to put 1/4" thick laminated glass (local glass shop cut it to size).
IMG_3809.jpg
If I had seen the bronze rings that Duckworks is selling now, I would have used those instead, but I'm happy with my shiny rings.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Taking care of more details like backing plates for the cabin top hardware...5"x5" I think. I rasped the plates roughly to fit the curve of the cabin top:
IMG_3160.jpg
The cockpit coaming rails (Ash):
IMG_3193.jpg
and the stern transom cap (I glued wood in the gap to save on epoxy:
IMG_3326.jpg
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

The rudder blade ended up being a little thicker than planned (my glue-up and 2 layers of glass), so I glued the core first with an extra layer of kit scrap hand planed down to around 1/8" to create a wider rudder:
IMG_3402.jpg
Once the core was glued (I only used 2-3 of the alignment holes and left the rest open for glueing the cheeks on later), I routed and prepared the copper tubes.
IMG_3415.jpg
Things shifted slightly I think, and the holes for bushings were out of alignment. The holes were enlarged slightly and a dowel (previously coated with beeswax) was inserted through the bushings to make sure they were lined up and square as they were glued in - same done for the rudder blade too:
IMG_3433.jpg
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Pintles and gudgeons...I couldn't find quite the right size so I ordered an oversized 11/2" race-lite set and customized it a bit - shortened and redrilled the bottom pintle, and bent both to narrow the span enough for a good fit. It might not matter, but that had the added effect of pushing the rudder aft, giving it a bit more clearance as it rotates side to side and angles in towards the transom. Some time with clamps, an old ball hitch as anvil, a hammer, and a propane touch did the trick:
490s.jpg
IMG_3424.jpg
IMG_3808.JPG
-Might have been easier to buy the set made for the SCAMP and router out the extra-wide rudder to accommodate, but this is the way I did it...
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Tiller extension glue-up
IMG_3586.jpg
The ash tiller is based on the plans with a little "S" curve laminated in.

Getting rudder hardware located (drill/fill/drill):
IMG_3571.jpg
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Striking the waterline came next:
IMG_3474.jpg
I am really glad I did this while still level, on the jig. My space is tight, so some yoga moves were required...two level boards, two strings and a cheap laser level taped to a tripod (and my eyeballs) -- it seemed to work.
IMG_3748.jpg
I used a sharpie hoping the ink sinks in a bit, so I don't sand off the line accidentally.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

I've put a bit of thought into anchor and rode storage and how that would work with other things. I wanted to be able to keep 2 anchors on board with a little chain and maybe 150' of rode each. I made a fisherman anchor that I like, but it's kind of a pain getting it ready when it has to be deployed quickly. I plan to anchor in a variety of bottoms; muddy, rocky, rooty reservoir bottoms, maybe some sandy bottoms, definitely rocky Georgian Bay bottoms.

I decided to go with two small Rochna anchors. They are pretty light at 9 lbs. each but hopefully they will hold well enough for overnighters. I worked out a storage solution...

Cut up some leftover mahogany and steel:
IMG_3719.jpg
IMG_3722.jpg
Covered with some left over Dynel:
IMG_3725.jpg
Last edited by ericleif on Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.