Scamp Build in Kansas!

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

ericleif
Major Contributor

Re: Scamp Build in Kansas!

Post by ericleif »

I’ve done this test a few times in light air and heavier wind with similar results: there is a noticeable difference in stability - mast upwind = more stable, mast downwind = less stable. I *think* this is because the mast/sail digs into or scoops water when mast is pointed (drifting) downwind, forcing the mast (big lever arm) down.

I don’t think the centerboard makes a difference when the boat is stable (mast upwind), but does make a small difference when unstable (mast pointed downwind). Anchors make even less difference (less mass, closer in to the boat) but still...I think those things can add up to make turtle more likely if in an unstable position already.

Reefed saill seems to make things even more unstable.

I think my observations are good, but you all should test this out too.

Bottom line for me: Even though there is a chance that if the boat capsizes, it will end up in a good and stable position on it’s side (as it has many times for me), it’s also gone the other way - so I just assume that a capsize will turtle and prepare for that. I also think that while moving my anchors lower might make a difference in some scenarios, There is a safety benefit of having anchors stored in a way that makes them quick and easy to deploy and quick to store out of the way. So far, for me, that outweighs potential negatives.

Again, Scampers - test yourselves (carefully!!!) Maybe you’ll get different results.

By the way, I used to dread the turtle. But I’ve righted so many times (solo) from turtle without issue, including in moderate wind/small waves (seemed just as easy) - which is pretty remarkable. It just doesn’t seem like as big a deal anymore (as long as the water’s deep enough). It does take more effort to right from turtle but not huge amount more; it means more time in the water, but not much (1.5-2 min. vs. maybe .5-1 min); there is the same amount of water remaining in the boat either way; the boat’s cleaner when it comes up from turtle : )

Here is a plus: this might seem silly, but righting from turtle using a righting line with loops means when it rights, your hand has a good grip on a rope attached to the boat. When righting the boat in heavier wind, I found the boat would lurch forward when the wind grabbed the sail. The sail then flagged and settled, but it was enough to make my heart beat faster, and seemed like a good thing to be holding that rope. If righting from boat on it’s side using the CB, I would be very conscious of grabbing the re-entry sling or something as soon as I could as the boat came up...if the wind is blowing. I’d hate to see that boat drift away! Still, it’s pretty docile after righting.

Side note: I found I could capsize most easily by sheeting in while laying on leeward bench up against the coaming. Then I roll out just before the mast hits the water, and I swim around without touching the boat. I simply could not capsize this way in less than about 10 kts of wind. In lighter air, I would have to walk out onto the side deck, grab the mast and pull it over (watch the head! Watch out for lines that could tangle!!!).
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

Sorry my bad, I had mis-read the original. Somehow had it my head that upwind was less stable. Must be getting old.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

No worries!!!

Here’s a shot trying to get the boat over - finally successful after many tries timing movements with gusts:
CA514B96-AF71-484E-A191-E8369DB00EE0.jpeg
By the way, I often leave more sail up than is probably recommended when sailing in warm weather on the local populated lakes. I want to have as much experience as possible sailing when overpowered to get a feel for things and to push the boat, so if caught in a bad chance, I have better sense for how things might play out. I’m often leaning out on the rail to keep the boat upright when overpowered. Even so, the boat is forgiving - even when it seems like it’s going over, let go of the sheet or come up and it seems to come back from the point of no return. I’ve only capsized unintentionally once:

I’ve experienced the following weather situation at least 3 times this year in Kansas...recently sailing in light winds, maybe 5 kts. I was practicing sailing to different points with the rudder kicked up. Grey day - puffy, defined, low hanging clouds. I just did not see the front coming.

Wind rose abruptly to about 10 kts. It took about 5 secs for an alarm to go off in my brain: lower the rudder! Did that. Get situated for heavier...wham. 30-40 kt gust maybe? Could be exaggerating obviously, but that first big gust just plastered the full sail around the mast like a newspaper around a light pole.

3 things in mind: push tiller to leeward to come up, check. No effect. Make sure mainsheet running free. Check. No effect...boat still heeling. Climbing to the high side looking at the the third thing, the halyard cleat - get that sail down! Too late. Boom caught in the water. Jumped in right as mast was coming down. Turtled. Righted in maybe a minute. Got back in.

That lake went from boring calm to churning, the defined clouds where now a blurry smear across the sky. So fast. Normally, I keep everything tied down, but on this day I lost a pair of $5 Walmart sunglasses, some Fiji bottled water containers I had grown attached to, a tenugui I bought in Japan (sad), and a half eaten bag of combos. Combos: you will not be forgotten.

I sailed in circles in the chop for 45 min looking for my trash, but the waves were too crazy to see anything unless right on top of it. No luck. Wind subsided to maybe 20-25 kts and I went to the part of the lake with the most fetch and sailed (reefed) in waves for the rest of the afternoon - fantastic sailing that day!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Rigging session + stopwatch = nerdom

I timed how long it took me to:

Rig the boat for sailing - 6 min

De-rig for trailering - 12 min

I don’t have many things left I want to post RE: SCAMP, and this is one them. Quick rigging was one of the main reasons why I chose SCAMP, and I put some thought into the process. The way I do it, all lines are left attached except the halyard to the yard and the snotter to the boom. Not sure this will be helpful, but here’s how I de-rig for trailering.

After pulling the boat out of the water, the first thing I do is attach 4 straps. I keep the straps on my car seat so there is no way I’ll forget!
F627342A-D26E-4016-B714-9CFAAE20C022.jpeg
708107F1-0B54-49C7-A6A0-ECA62256DBCB.jpeg
5857B992-5F5D-451C-A278-A65649235401.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ericleif on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Here’s what things look like underneath:
EB4A3508-135C-4799-975E-81FFBBEF6DB2.jpeg
You can see my bailer under there (I love my bailers)

After I remove the rudder and install the rear mast crutch in its place, the snotter is unhooked, and the lazy jacks line uncleated:
A2A25A3C-3F2B-4ADD-8D09-B7B4EA9E625C.jpeg
The aft end of the sail bundle is rested on the crutch, and the forward end hooked on the halyard cleat:
066FABE3-A96D-430E-B2A3-15AD9D75EB89.jpeg
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Once the halyard is unclipped from the yard, the mast is pulled out with the masthead end set on the aft crutch and the other end set next to the sail bundle. When the mast is lowered, I’m careful to let the lazy jack lines and halyard loop to one side of the stern crutch. Then the forward crutch goes in:
8950A0B0-745A-40BF-B960-E62DF8B0F394.jpeg
Once the mast and sail bundle are lifted up onto the front crutch, the mainsheet and downhaul are pulled tight in their cleats which holds the boom down.
70D79B17-EC30-48CA-8C87-A24D092949A9.jpeg
656357A1-AFD3-4DFD-B797-7EFB03A2CA3D.jpeg
Last edited by ericleif on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

The sail bundle shock cord is released (three hooks) and the sail falls to the side of the boat:
7AA5F55D-8DC0-4CD0-BA00-BF5F0FA14B1E.jpeg
It’s then rolled up and the shock cord re-hooked around the bundle:
B511626F-C040-46CB-852C-98BA70657238.jpeg
At this point the lazyjack lines look like a tangled mess, but they are easy to tidy:
964C5F3A-3F4F-4253-9F9F-8C4C16B341C6.jpeg
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

The lazyjack lines are pulled taught, daisy chained twice and the tail pulled taught and cleated off to the lazyjack cleat. This is difficult to explain but easy and quick to do:
8D717489-2B4F-43F1-AAC4-D33F12694D5B.jpeg
39556146-5A29-4A91-88E6-405AEC324D52.jpeg
Then the halyard is looped around the forward mast crutch (and the aft) and is pulled tight and cleated:
23DDD5D2-38E6-42FD-8A8A-66FE4013F37A.jpeg
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Here is my CB tackle. I like this set up because I can just pull up, from wherever in the cockpit, and it cleats automatically. Anyway, I take the tail and run it through the empty tiller clutch clam cleat for good measure:
73EE303A-C3FE-43F3-BA27-EFE0368037F7.jpeg
96832233-6EFE-4C20-ADFD-998A089348A3.jpeg
Then attach some bungee cords for extra security around the mast/sail bundle at the for and aft crutches:
759C1695-CCE7-48E3-9A45-1F2AD3509C1C.jpeg
That’s pretty much it. Remaining lines are coiled, loose reefing lines are twisted and tucked around the sail bundle bungees, and I’m ready to go. This process used to take 20-30 min, but practice (and keeping lazyjacks attached) makes things go faster (approx. 10 min). Rigging for sailing is the opposite and about twice as fast (around 5 min).
headonz
Regular Contributor

Post by headonz »

Very interesting , and impresive.Did you think about putting the 4th reef in ?

Leave the aft point as it is and just pull down the forward cringle at the sprit to the boom.You end up with a triangle .Storm sail.

I havent actually needed it yet but works well in testing.

I had conserns about the stern transome chocks as you did but after your experiance I think I will try them.