Scamp Build in Kansas!

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

ober27
New Contributor

Re: Scamp Build in Kansas!

Post by ober27 »

Thanks for sharing! My only experience with the Apostle Islands was a brief trip to Madeline Island via the ferry. It looks like you had a great time. It looks like the Scamp was a good camper on trip up and back as well. Are you happy with the tent?
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Sure. It was a great trip that I would do again for sure, maybe next summer.

So far, I’m very satisfied with the tent. I think the height is really good for me...I did all my cooking inside, sitting comfortably on the seat, with the stove on the sole, my head near the peak. And I really like being able to sleep head towards stern, and see a good chunk of the sky and stars through the mesh doors. The openness the screen provides is important to me - especially when hanging out inside in the evening in buggy country.

The only thing I would change so far is less snaps, and better placement of snaps along the tent perimeter (a few take some pulling to get snapped, which i could fix at some point).

But...I haven’t had it on the water in winds higher than about 15 knots, and I haven’t had it in sustained rain : ), so we’ll see!
Derek
Regular Contributor

Post by Derek »

YES!

Sweet adventure!

Maybe I can Speak for Pirate crew (Dale and Keith) and say we want to join you one of these summers.

I've been frustrated on the oars before as well, bouncing back and forth on confused seas. It feels great once you get out of that situation.

Good job swimming in those caves, you're a true Waterman!
Thanks for the write up and pictures.

-Derek
Liberty 53
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Derek- YES! You guys should definitely come!
Jason Builder
Regular Contributor

Post by Jason Builder »

Hi Eric,

Great write up; thank you. Congratulations on building such a fine boat. A kayak trip through the Apostles was one of the more fun adventures I have experienced and it was fun to read your story. Beautiful boat; ace work.

Jason
-Jason

Builder of SCAMP#349 "Argo": Build log at http://www.argobuilder.com
Caretaker of these fine ships:
-SCAMP "Argo"
-1981 Compac 16 Pilothouse "Lillyanna"
-Old Towne 16' Canoe
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Thanks Jason!
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Just had a great weekend of racing SCAMP!

Yesterday, the local yacht club had their annual Commodore’s Cup and I raced four or five (it’s a blur) races with college kids and fleets of Thistles and 420’s (and my SCAMP). It was in the 90’s and blowing 15 kts I think with cells moving through. I could have used a crew person with full sail up, but hiked out a lot and only let in water over the rail once or twice : )

It was my first racing experience and I felt like my sailing skills where really accelerated, epescially while trying to get good starts with a bunch of boats.

Man, those Thistles are fast and their sails just snap into trim like they are electrified. And the 420’s are like annoying flies zipping around (only annoying when passing me, othwise cute).

Then today, I raced in a Novice Skipper regatta at another club near Kansas City. Cooler day, little more laid back, now I’m more familiar with start pennants, and lighter winds. This regatta was more fun too because of the variety of boats: bunch of Sweet 16s, Lasers, even some bigger boats including a Hunter 25 I think. Very nice people. And more good learning experiences, this time more at the marks.

I had no intention of entering races when I built SCAMP, but I highly recommend trying it just for the fast skill building. SCAMP did great too (and got lots of attention). People seemed surprised she could point well and get around the courses relatively quickly.

Here’s a shot on the downwind leg of Novice Skipper Regatta. (the mark is behind my mast):
9DEF707A-3F36-433D-A3C0-5944AA14CA5E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Wow, sweet stuff, Eric!

I'm a little late to the party in thanking you for your fine trip report in The Apostles... Derek was right, we need to go there! (yikes, that's a long drive!)

With all the scamps here on the west coast, we've had the pleasure of "racing" against each other, and it really helps to hone the sailing skills. And, I've just competed the Barefoot Raid, 7 days of "racing" from island to island in the Straits of Georgia waters BC, and found that being the shortest waterline in the fleet doesn't mean you're the slowest. Howard calls it "sneaky speed", which surprised a few of my "competitors" in the Raid. (all in quotations, because even though we're always racing, we're really not racing, are we? haha!)

Cheers,
Dale
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

Dale, yes! Cross-country SCAMP caravan to the Great Lakes!!! Pick up Brent/Hagoth and Jason/Argo along the way. It’s a magical place - you will not be disappointed! Plus, drink from the lake, cold clean baths everyday, no tides, but I’m sure that’s part of the fun. I need to get out to the west coast to try out salt water and currents, and socialize my boat with other SCAMPS in her mother country.

Side note: I keep looking at the Sea of Cortez on the map. Just looking...

I saw video from that Barefoot RAID on FB. Looked pretty great! What fun.
ericleif
Major Contributor

Post by ericleif »

After my first summer sailing SCAMP I wanted to share a few small modifications, and favorite bits of rigging and hardware so far. But first, my newly discovered, favorite sailing position...

It’s:

1. Probably all kinds of stupid
2. Definitely glorious

I sailed the last couple of miles to the boat ramp this way: sitting on the cabin top, back leaned up against the mast, arm resting on boom, watching the sun set on a broad reach. If my path veered, I just put my other hand on the cabin top, and a little weight on it would shift me back on track. Sublime.

06AB40F8-3F60-4F72-99F6-F435D7F7D02F.jpeg
In that pic you can kind of see my tiller clutch set-up. I’m sure I would get by fine without one. I’m just saying, I use that tiller clutch all the time. Totally worth it for me, not just for stunt sailing.
BD316DAE-ABAB-4AE9-A047-F9F01E5C6D46.jpeg
Above is a small mod that works great...the eyestrap on the mast for the ”snotter” (to keep the boom off the cabin and limit its forward movement) was pried off by the snotter line with downhaul tension. I filled the holes and set up a strap that attaches to the boom, wraps around the mast and snaps to a line from forward on the boom (ala Lillystone and Storer). Works great since I have lazy jacks and keeps the boom up against the mast.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ericleif on Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.