Hoops for cabin or boat cover

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Peter E
Major Contributor

Re: Hoops for cabin or boat cover

Post by Peter E »

A hoop from material at home depo 1/2 inch pipe used a doles to hold it together.

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/wispete/media
/_IGP3395_zps28w58ody.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
This hoop is flexible but will not break. The thing I like about it is you can take it apart and easily store it.
I use it with I call a quick up cover which takes quart milk containers to hold in place.
Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

Here is the shelter that I have been working on. It should look familiar,Idea taken from a famous Scamp. I used 4 yards of Top Gun fabric which I got from Sailrite. I used this material because it is lighter than Sunbrella and easier to fold for storage. I am going to find a even lighter material that is water resistant and make another shelter.
I inherited a singer sewing machine which I used to sew the material. Heaven forbid I used the woman who you must obey machine. I wish to grow older.

Learning to sew can be a frustrating experience but rewarding. The manual for this machine was destroyed so I went on the net. You have to have the correct needle, thread and tension or %$%&** The most difficult thing as first putting the thread on the machine. It is easier to rebuild a car engine. O yes you have to read and follow directions that is difficult for us Danish people.There is a sign in my shop that says " Real Danes don't read directions" words to live by. Mark Twain said experience is the best teacher. A young lad who picks a cat up by the tail will learn some thing he will never forget.

The only difficulty in putting it up from inside is getting the side snaps on. Some thing I am going to work on. Thanks to Howard for the idea.

Roux
Regular Contributor

Post by Roux »

Hey that looks great! I'm nearly finished with mine too. I ran out of snaps and still need to build a pulley system to close the tent when inside. I've never sewed anything and the project turned out pretty good. I inspired my girlfriend to start sewing again too!

ImageSamp Tent
olo12
New Contributor

Post by olo12 »

Hi, My shelter is now ruined, and for the time being, I am using big bed sheets to cover my boat. I really wanted to buy that material for shelter, can you tell me from where you have purchased?
jazzy12
New Contributor

Post by jazzy12 »

Hi, I have installed a mattress on my board, but could not find any waterproof mattress protector of this size that I have installed in my boat. anyone here using a mattress in his boat please guide me.
Spike A
Regular Contributor

Post by Spike A »

What Colmen tent cover are you using? I like the extra room above the seats. My cover is attached under the boom with a colapsable fiberglass tent pole. It's just a 10' by 8' camping tarp. It's attached to the underside of the deck with a bungie strung from the underside of the midship cleat and around the back to the other midship cleat. i have padeyes installed under the cleats to hook the bungie. I've modified it slightly and it is tighter than in these pictures. Not for extreme weather but will handle some wind and rain. I hope the pictures post. I'm sharing from Google Drive to anyone with these links. There are some views of the tent in this video also. https://youtu.be/diwOdj_3wjY.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cDKlBC ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PwEHqU ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15WlMWz ... sp=sharing
Mike
Luna Gig Harbor Scamp #462
Selway Fisher 50/50 Sailing Canoe
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Spike A wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:35 am
What Colmen tent cover are you using?
Hi Mike... I assume you're referring to my "Coleman" in an earlier post, above? It was an old tent fly I found in the garbage, probably from a tent that slept 6 people or so, one of those fair-weather models that you could get in the big box stores. I used it to cut up for prototyping, and have since refined the design and built "Mark II" out of coated ripstop polyester... much more weather-resistant. We love the room it provides us (it's like a condo under there), and the way the sides flip up for fair-weather use or a good view during morning coffee.

ImageNew tent, ready for the Salish 100 by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

ImageLUNA, at Shark Spit after a very windy night on anchor by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

(Hey, we named our boat LUNA, also... nice to meet another one!)

Cheers,
Dale
Spike A
Regular Contributor

Post by Spike A »

I need to find time to get out the sewing maching and try my hand at making this kind of cover. The one I have works but I would like the extra room! Now I must watch "How to use a sewing maching" videos on YouTube.
Mike
Luna Gig Harbor Scamp #462
Selway Fisher 50/50 Sailing Canoe
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Because we cruise two-up, we really need the side-space. We can each sit on a bench and lean against the combings with an elbow resting over, without touching the tent. But, it's a lot of windage, it requires the rig up to pitch it, and you can't sail with it up. For a solo sailor it doesn't make any sense at all, something like Howard's low windage version on SOUTHERN CROSS would be just fine, or, if you'd like a bit of shade underway, Sergei's "bimini with side curtains" approach for SERENITY is a nice and roomy shelter. But for two-up, I think ours is the best we've seen!

My wife (and fileting queen), Chris, has lots of sewing experience, so I'm a lucky guy. :-) We used a bit of YouTube to work out some of the construction details...

Cheers,
Dale
record12
New Contributor

Post by record12 »

wooah your boat is very nice, my boat is small in size and used to cover it my used king sized mattress protector.