Reef bunting ideas?

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

stevecanaga
Regular Contributor

Reef bunting ideas?

Post by stevecanaga »

What solutions have you come up with for the loose footed scamp reef bunting lines? I have seen permanent ties dangling in the sail and a bungee type zigzag but have not been able to get detailed information on what people are using and what makes them a good choice.

I can guess that the perma-bunties (is that a word?) would always be at the ready but does it have a noticeable impact on the the sail? And, what are good choices for the tie themselves... is paracord an option or go something a bit more robust?

As for the zigzag, what details can you all share?

Thanks in advance
Steve Canaga
Emerald Odessey #332
...be happy...
Steve Canaga
Scamp #332 - Emerald Odessey
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Reef bunting ideas?

Post by pocketyacht »

Steve
The permanent lines you likely see are reef nettles. These are used to tie up the bunt of the sail (but not around the boom) when reefed.

The zigzag bungee you see is likely a sail stowage set up attached to the bottom of the boom along with small hooks. When the sail is down this system is used to neatly secure it to the boom, bungee pulled over the top of the sail and yard and affixed to the hooks. I made my own and use this on my SCAMP when at anchor or at a dock.
stevecanaga
Regular Contributor

Re: Reef bunting ideas?

Post by stevecanaga »

I am guessing you can use most anything for the reef nettle lines or do you have a suggestion?

As for the zigzag tye downs, I will check photo archives for references
...be happy...
Steve Canaga
Scamp #332 - Emerald Odessey