Zephyr Cruises

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

knasman
Major Contributor

Re: Zephyr Cruises

Post by knasman »

Rob,
The new hatches are the ones in the cuddy sole. I deliberately made them as large as possible so that I could drop my loo bucket in one side and it would sit on the bottom of the boat and then I can put my feet down in the other opening. I've tested it out and it is workable. I did this mod because when my wife comes out for an overnight there's a spot for the loo when we have the whole cockpit taken up with sleeping gear. I stow water and some food bags down there when in transit. They are easy enough to put in the footwell before we set up the bed.

I originally thought I'd do the standard Russell Brown large hatches in B3, but then though about needing to tighten the bow eye. I can't fit my body through one of those so I had to go custom and built my own. I matched the angle of the cuddy sides and I think it turned out looking really good. And I have had to put myself through them to epoxy in a backing block for an anchor fairlead.

Heh. The cutouts on the seatback coaming. That wasn't planned. When I installed the seatbacks I lined them up and epoxied them in. Later I noticed that I had epoxied them an inch low! About five minutes with the jigsaw and I created the access I needed (gotta love wood boats!). In the broadside shot you can just see the new cutouts that I just put in for the anchoring system. I'll post some pics of that. I'm really happy with how I have it dialed in.

Good eye on the sculling oarlock pad. Yes, that is what it is. I haven't used it yet because I am still using my Gig Harbor oars with the spoon blades. Some day I'll get some flat bladed oars and give that a workout.
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
knasman
Major Contributor

Re: Zephyr Cruises

Post by knasman »

Here's a shot of the anchoring setup. The last frame bay under each seat is sealed off and is a "wet well" for the anchor rode. What you are looking at is dual 8Lb Mantus anchors each with 12ft of heavy chain and 160-170ft of nylon rode. This much rode let's me anchor in 30+ ft of water with a 5:1 scope. If I ever need that scope at that depth, I'm sure I'll be lying on the cabin sole praying to survive. The bow is to starboard and stern is to port. You can see the stern anchor line already threaded through the gorgeous Port Townsend Foundry fairlead.

The two vertical pipes support the rig during transit and are left in the truck when sailing. I sewed up a bag with a 10ft zipper to enclose the whole rig. It has proven to work well.

Over the port quarter you can see the 10in plastic hatches that were in the cuddy sole.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161