Want to put numbers on my new sail, but number on old sail does not match hull number

A forum for the discussion of all things Precision sailboats.

Moderator: Moderator

Tom S.
New Contributor

Want to put numbers on my new sail, but number on old sail does not match hull number

Post by Tom S. »

The number on my old P18 sail is 122. The number of the hull is 118. This has come up before and I think it's been acknowledged that somewhere along the line Precision messed up. Or maybe that's not unusual for the numbers not to match.

So it's possible that somewhere out there there's another P18 with the 118 number on its sail. But I rarely race and so far never against another P18. The chances of me ending up in a race with that particular P18 is almost zero so I can probably go either way with the new sail.

Which would you choose?
Brian N.
New Contributor

Re: Want to put numbers on my new sail, but number on old sail does not match hull number

Post by Brian N. »

I would match the sail number to the hull number. I believe that later models did not include a number on the sail, just the Precision logo. My 2008 P165 sail did not have a number.
IMG-4091.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 P165
Long Island Sound
Riggerdood
Regular Contributor

Re: Want to put numbers on my new sail, but number on old sail does not match hull number

Post by Riggerdood »

Definitely go with the hull number Tom. Who knows where the old 122 numbered sail came from? Maybe the PO of 118 knew the owner of 122, and bought his sail?

Rum Line's old main has 247 on it, which matches the hull number, so I'm pretty confident it's the original. It also has the Spindrift Sails logo. I didn't bother to get numbers put on the new sail three years ago, because I don't race, but if I wanted to add them, I would just get them from Sailrite and put them on myself, like I did on the DS when a charity race was gonna DQ me for not having a number on my main!