Electronic signal "flares"

A forum for the discussion of all things Precision sailboats.

Moderator: Moderator

Brian N.
New Contributor

Electronic signal "flares"

Post by Brian N. »

For those of you who have replaced your regular flares with an electronic signal, what is your opinion of it? What brand did you get and why?
2008 P165
Long Island Sound
DBthal
New Contributor

Re: Electronic signal "flares"

Post by DBthal »

Hi Brian,

I purchased the SIRIUS C-1003. It was recommended by Practical Sailor due to performance, smaller size, & reasonable price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081GHJ9XC?re ... YBB1NFXXH6

I was tired of replacing my flares every few years and ending up with a supply of expired ones.

I write “expired” on the old flare bag and keep them on the boat with the SIRIUS C-1003 and the day flag that comes with the unit. The Coast Guard Auxiliary approved.

Dan
Precision 165
Sisu 22
Portage Pram
Brian N.
New Contributor

Post by Brian N. »

Thanks Dan. That is the one I was considering. I received a gift card to West Marine for my 65th and it seems like a practical purchase.
2008 P165
Long Island Sound
Terry S
New Contributor

Post by Terry S »

I also purchased the Sirius electronic flare last summer rather than buy more pyro flares. (I have a good assortment of expired pyro flares).

The only issue I have with the Sirius is its large size. I have not yet found a convenient and yet accessible place to mount it in the P-21. It currently rides on a semi-secure load of duffel bags and towels on one of the berths.

The electronic flare does not have the high altitude visibility as a pistol flare and it is not usable in daylight, but it floats and it can taken into the water with the crew should it ever be necessary to abandon the boat.