Deck Cable Penetrations Fittings

A forum for the discussion of all things Precision sailboats.

Moderator: Moderator

fnelowet
New Contributor

Deck Cable Penetrations Fittings

Post by fnelowet »

Some folks were interested in ways to do this. I used the single cable version for my solar panel, and I might replace it with the multi-cable version for upcoming mods. Other companies, notably Blue Sea make them as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Scanstrut-Micro- ... 9LTI&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Scanstrut-Multi- ... FGLS&psc=1
P165 “Spirit”
Quantico, VA
DBthal
New Contributor

Re: Deck Cable Penetrations Fittings

Post by DBthal »

Frank,

Scanstrut & Blue Sea both make very high quality products for passing cables through the deck.

When I installed my solar panel, I wanted to be able to plug / unplug it easily, so I went with this style:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WCMX24L?re ... CT94MB081V

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TFSS78H?_e ... QQYM0&th=1

It has worked well with the solar panel.

Dan
Precision 165
Sisu 22
Portage Pram
Riggerdood
Regular Contributor

Post by Riggerdood »

Here's the one I mentioned in the PSHH, but Ken didn't say where he got the through-hull fixture. I've seen them before though. The inline connectors look like the ones I got from Renogy.

318466632_10167173335185503_8559737481467517564_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DBthal
New Contributor

Post by DBthal »

Tim,

I like that clamshell connector cover!

Dan
Precision 165
Sisu 22
Portage Pram
fnelowet
New Contributor

Post by fnelowet »

Riggerdood wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:34 pm
Here's the one I mentioned in the PSHH, but Ken didn't say where he got the through-hull fixture. I've seen them before though. The inline connectors look like the ones I got from Renogy.

318466632_10167173335185503_8559737481467517564_n.jpg
The more I think about it the more I think I’m gonna need something more like that in order to have that RG8 connection going through the hull for the antenna. Tim, you may have already ‘splained it at some point, but could you remind me how you did that while maintaining the coax throughout? I guess one way would be to bring the cable through a waterproof fitting then just put a connector on it and use some sort of waterproof barrel connector to connect to the cable that goes up the mast? Somehow that just sounds ugly, doesn’t it?
P165 “Spirit”
Quantico, VA
Riggerdood
Regular Contributor

Post by Riggerdood »

DBthal wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:01 pm
I like that clamshell connector cover!

I wish I could remember who makes it Dan. I know I've seen it before. I'll ask Ken. I don't believe it's a Renogy item. I like how it allows for drip loops.
Riggerdood
Regular Contributor

Post by Riggerdood »

fnelowet wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:59 pm
The more I think about it the more I think I’m gonna need something more like that in order to have that RG8 connection going through the hull for the antenna. Tim, you may have already ‘splained it at some point, but could you remind me how you did that while maintaining the coax throughout? I guess one way would be to bring the cable through a waterproof fitting then just put a connector on it and use some sort of waterproof barrel connector to connect to the cable that goes up the mast? Somehow that just sounds ugly, doesn’t it?

Yes, it does sound ugly Frank, and it is, because that's exactly the way I kinda had to do it. On Rum Line, the coax and light wiring come out of the cabin pedestal and up the compression post. There is a hole in the coach roof that they pass through, which has one of these "clamshell" type covers below, and one on deck, with sealant squished liberally into both:

CLAMSHELL.jpg

Because of the way some PO had unceremoniously lopped off the coax, I had to put a barrel connector on the compression post, and run new coax from there, up through the coach roof, and up the mast. On the outside, next to the mast step, I have connectors for the wires, for when the mast is down and in the trailering supports. I used this for the wiring connector. It's an auto parts store item, and I got two, one pair of which I cut the wires off of, and use as a weather cover for when the mast is down:

CONNECTOR.jpg

And for the coax, this:

COUPLER.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Riggerdood on Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riggerdood
Regular Contributor

Post by Riggerdood »

(Apparently there is an image size/number limit?)

And this:

BARREL_CONNECTOR.jpg

I also got extras of these for weather covers. They came from Defender.

Here's what they look like, disconnected with the weather covers on. No, not elegant, but quite functional. Ilse gave me a couple of tennis raquet handle wraps to cover the wires with, hence the "Wilson" ;~P

IMG_3045.JPG
fnelowet
New Contributor

Post by fnelowet »

Thanks so much, Tim! I really appreciate all the pix! Would love to know where to find those clam covers.
P165 “Spirit”
Quantico, VA
fnelowet
New Contributor

Post by fnelowet »

P165 “Spirit”
Quantico, VA