New Year Mod/Upgrade List?

A forum for the discussion of all things Precision sailboats.

Moderator: Moderator

fnelowet
New Contributor

New Year Mod/Upgrade List?

Post by fnelowet »

Although I have a demonstrated love of difficult, painful, expensive, low value projects, and I have the energy to do them, my list this year is very short as follows:

1. Playing with the idea of installing a fixed VHF radio system and antenna at the top of the mast. On the Potomac River around Quantico it seems that my handheld VHF has about the range of a loud hailer, and I would like to actually be able to communicate by VHF at some point. Or at least have a shot at understanding the Coast Guard speed-talkers on channel 16.

2. Playing with the idea of installing a hatch under a seat near the stern of the cockpit. It would be nice to be able to store a very small anchor in that space.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Have a GREAT holiday season!

Frank
P165/Quantico, VA
P165 “Spirit”
Quantico, VA
DBthal
New Contributor

Re: New Year Mod/Upgrade List?

Post by DBthal »

Frank,

I’ve got a few repairs / mods for the New Year:

* There is a leak at a fastener on the port side jib track. I’ll need to remove the track, make sure there isn’t dampness in the core (if any), fill the hole with thickened epoxy, drill, & rebed the track.
* Fix a problem with the steaming light. Seems there is a break between the deck connector & the DC panel. I’ll install a new Sea Dog two pin connector.
* I’m considering installing a Harken ratcheting block on the mainsheet. May be helpful to hold the mainsheet without cleating in the gusty conditions I often sail in.
* Get a new luff extrusion for my CDI furler to replace the old kinked one.
* I’m going to replace the Command Strip line hooks that keep breaking with these:

https://unitedyachting.com/product/button-line-holder/

Read about them in Practical Sailor.

That should keep me busy!

Dan
Precision 165
Sisu 22
Portage Pram
Brian N.
New Contributor

Post by Brian N. »

Not much on the to do list. I need to wash the lines, and replace flares. When I set up in the spring I do a complete inspection of the rigging, give her a good wash and wax, replace old cotter pins and such. The two prong connector for the mast light needs replacement, but I'm deciding on what to do for the replacement. Perhaps something that might be more durable than the Sea Dog plug.
2008 P165
Long Island Sound
Riggerdood
Regular Contributor

Post by Riggerdood »

At the moment, I'm working on a rigid brace for the aft mast support. I've been using a strap, which is fiddly and difficult to get tight. Frank, your incident earlier this year is what got me thinking I needed something better. I have a couple rail fittings, left over from my motor mount installation earlier this year, that I think will work nicely. I'll post a pic when I get it done.

Frank, not sure how you're planning to get the antenna coax through the mast, but there are several ways, mostly involving some kind of messenger line. Do yourself a favor though, and put 3 zip ties every foot or two. Leave the tails on, set at 120 degrees from each other. This will eliminate clanking of the coax inside the mast, which can be very annoying!
Tom S.
New Contributor

Post by Tom S. »

1. Cockpit cushions! We'll see if I actually get around to it this winter or not.
  2. Some gelcoat chip repair. I kept my rudder at home so I can experiment with trying to match the bone color of the earlier Precisions. Anyone done this with success?
  3. Convert hank-on jib to furling
  4. Fine-tune furler set up in the Spring
fnelowet
New Contributor

Post by fnelowet »

Riggerdood wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:06 pm
At the moment, I'm working on a rigid brace for the aft mast support. I've been using a strap, which is fiddly and difficult to get tight. Frank, your incident earlier this year is what got me thinking I needed something better. I have a couple rail fittings, left over from my motor mount installation earlier this year, that I think will work nicely. I'll post a pic when I get it done.

Frank, not sure how you're planning to get the antenna coax through the mast, but there are several ways, mostly involving some kind of messenger line. Do yourself a favor though, and put 3 zip ties every foot or two. Leave the tails on, set at 120 degrees from each other. This will eliminate clanking of the coax inside the mast, which can be very annoying!
Roger, Tim, Wilco! Heard that was the way to go.
P165 “Spirit”
Quantico, VA
Riggerdood
Regular Contributor

Post by Riggerdood »

I did it with the new VHF coax I pulled through last Summer Frank, and wish I'd done it with the existing mast light wires too. I still might at some point, although just having the zip ties on the coax has also quieted the light wires down a bit as well.
Riggerdood
Regular Contributor

Post by Riggerdood »

Here's the mast support brace I made. It provides side to side support, while the "rail hooks" provide front to back support and the bungee around the mast and hooked to the rail provides up and down support. The mast is up right now, so the bungee isn't shown. The brace can be disconnected by unscrewing the thumb screw on the left, and it can pivot down parallel with the support for storage. This will be quicker, easier, and more secure than the strap was.

MAST_SUPPORT_BRACE.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DBthal
New Contributor

Post by DBthal »

Here's the mast support brace I made.
Tim,

Is this support for trailering or mast raising? Either way, it looks very secure.

Dan
Precision 165
Sisu 22
Portage Pram
Riggerdood
Regular Contributor

Post by Riggerdood »

DBthal wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:05 pm
Tim,

Is this support for trailering or mast raising? Either way, it looks very secure.

Dan

It's for both Dan. The "rail hooks" are about halfway up the full height of the support, and there is a roller on top. With the mast down, it holds the mast up enough to clear cabin top, and the mast raising/lowering wishbone is long enough to give plenty of leverage. I got this idea of making a rigid brace after I made the rigid baby stay awhile back. In fact, the brace uses conduit I had left over from that project. Here's an older pic showing the mast down. I've since re-built the fore and aft supports. That yellow thing is the strap that was a PITA.

AFT_MAST_SUPPORT.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.