Mid-February cleanup

A forum for the discussion of all things Precision sailboats.

Moderator: Moderator

Brian N.
New Contributor

Mid-February cleanup

Post by Brian N. »

Took advantage of the mild day today (54 deg) to remove the boat cover and clean up the boat from the racoon mess. Removed the fur, poop, and remains with rubber gloves and a scraper. Hosed down the entire boat then scrubbed it with a stiff brush and lemon scented cleaner. MUCH better smell. Noticed some holes in the old cover so purchased a new tarp. Going to try red pepper and cayenne pepper powder as a deterrent.
2008 P165
Long Island Sound
Brian N.
New Contributor

Racoon update

Post by Brian N. »

It has been a couple of days since I cleaned up the racoon mess. I sprinkled hot pepper powder on deck and in the cockpit as well as a few scented dryer sheets. So far, the "anti-critter" measures are working. How often I may need to reapply is unknown, but I'm thinking weekly.
2008 P165
Long Island Sound
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Re: Mid-February cleanup

Post by GregWads »

I used to buy packets of rodent deterrent that had sort of a minty smell to them. Before putting the winter storage tarp on the boat I would throw several of them in the cockpit, one on the cabin top and another on the foredeck. I have heard of using dryer sheets, but always feared they would loose their smell over time. In the spring I would find a some Acorn shells, but never any indication of a permanent residence such as droppings or nesting debris. I never found any instance that critters were using my lines as food. Also when removing the tarp, my wife always commented the boat smelled minty fresh.