Row Cruiser vs CLC

This forum is offered for discussion about the Colin Angus designed RowCruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

jnjclark96
New Contributor

Row Cruiser vs CLC

Post by jnjclark96 »

I noticed this design a few years ago. CLC also has a similarly designed Expedition Wherry. CLC's Faering Cruiser is also very similar, but bigger and heavier. I think that this design is better suited for one person, predominately rowing, with some sailing. Is any one currently building one?

CLC Fairing: Length=22' 6" Weight=650 lbs. Beam=58 in. Payload=550 lbs. Draft up=8" down=36" Sail=125 sq ft

Rowcruiser: Length=19' Weight=148 lbs. Beam=44" Payload=880 lbs.
norseboater
Regular Contributor

Re: Row Cruiser vs CLC

Post by norseboater »

Quite a number of RowCruisers are being built, and we'll be instructing a workshop this month (Feb. 16-22) in which others will be constructed.

For a wealth of detailed information on the RowCruiser design, see the website, www.rowcruiser.com (If you check the website, the RowCruiser we built last August is the one with the varnished deck.)

We're actively developing an auxiliary sailing rig for the boat, to be debuted in the coming month. After tweaking, it may become an option to go with the basic rowing-model kit.

As you know, the kits are offered by Small Craft Advisor, and plans are available directly from Colin at www.angusrowboats.com

While we don't have any personal experience with the CLC Wherry or Expedition Cruiser--both very nice designs--we can tell you that the RowCruiser is a terrific boat--fast, comfortable to sleep aboard, extremely seaworthy and attractive in a classic way with its plumb stem and raised foredeck. We're delighted with ours, and look forward to sailing the beast this Spring.

Marty Loken, boatbuilder
Nordland, Washington
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

I have not rowed a Row cruiser but have tried Colins Expedition Model and have the plans for it. Colin demo'd them at the Victoria City rowing club a few years back when he was just getting started. I have rowed racing singles, which are not fun on open water, to European Class fibreglass open water racing boats. The expediton model was lighter than the production fibreglass models, more stable, cheaper and far more practical. The Rowcruiser has the same basic hull design. The expedition model would be a fairly simple build and fairly quick. You don't need to purchase an expensive drop in rowing unit either. I started on a Scamp so the Expedition model is on a back burner for now. I have also looked at the CLC Faering Cruiser as the lines have a lot of appeal. It is a much more complex build and they note it should not be attempted by beginners. Also bigger, heavier and significantly more expensive. Still, it looks pretty cool. Other than as a building challenge, if you want something quick to build, practical and easy on the pocketbook, the Rowcruiser wins hands down.

Cheers,

Dan
norseboater
Regular Contributor

Post by norseboater »

Dan -

I love Colin's Expedition design, but really wanted the sleep-aboard capabilities of the RowCruiser…and now also the option to sail the boat (when we finish development of the sailing rig).

Building time for the RowCruiser was 25 days, start to finish…or about 175 hours total.

- Marty
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

I had been considering the expedition Wherry from CLC.. but I think the Row Cruiser wins out due to the ability to drop a hook and take a nap in some amount of comfort and safety.

I think this is going to become next winter's project.. after I finish the nesting pram