First Launch of Rowcruiser 'Impatience'

This forum is offered for discussion about the Colin Angus designed RowCruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

LorneK
New Contributor

First Launch of Rowcruiser 'Impatience'

Post by LorneK »

Whirlwind 18 day build started March 2, finished to a high quality 'belt sander' finish. Paint, trailer, and fittings over the last week or so.

Launched in 15kph winds gusting to 25. I found it difficult to maintain heading until I added 40lbs of rocks in the prow. In that configuration, Impatience tracked very well into the wind, and returned nicely downwind with only about 15lbs moved aft.

Only a few whitecaps, and moderate boat wakes, but I was happy with stability under these conditions. I can stand cautiously and move about the boat.

Hoping to set out on a little adventure next weekend. Will likely post on https://www.instagram.com/lorne_kelly/

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LorneK
New Contributor

Re: First Launch of Rowcruiser 'Impatience'

Post by LorneK »

DSC_0431.JPG
DSC_0432.JPG
DSC_0434.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LorneK
New Contributor

Post by LorneK »

DSC_0437.JPG
DSC_0482.JPG
DSC_0484.JPG
LorneK
New Contributor

Post by LorneK »

DSC_0485.JPG
DSC_0494.JPG
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Nice work! Thanks for the photos.
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
LorneK
New Contributor

Post by LorneK »

Welcome! I posted two trips under 'paddling' on https://paddling.topicwise.com/lorne

A few thoughts after spending 3 months/ 2 trips in the boat

A) I had thought about doing my own design - that would be crazy. For me the boat is perfectly proportioned and handles brilliantly. This is an exceptionally well thought out design and I'm glad I found it. I'm passively thinking of building a 'good' copy of the boat using marine ply and taking a reasonable amount of time and care in the construction.

B) I bought spruce oars from a marine supply company and they went to pieces in less than a month. I glassed them over the winter and had no issues with 3 weeks exposure this summer.

C) A screen is essential. I threw an old screen over the hatch and bungeed it last summer. This summer I bought a 'magnetic screen curtain', discarded the magnets, sewed it to the right shape, and mounted the Velcro to the inside of the hatch. I'm happy with the results.

D) If you use non-marine plywood, the seats will need better sealing - I'd recommend a layer of 3/4oz (or the lightest you can easily source) cloth fully filled. I'd already glassed the outside of the decks - not sure what the plan said.

E) If you run over rocks daily like me, the recommended glass cloth on the bottom will not be satisfactory (particularly if you glass the inside and outside as the hydraulically injected water will never exit). I intend to add a few more layers to the bottom two planks with West Systems 420

F) don't forget to calk all your external fittings :)

G) If going on a long trip, ensure you can remove and replace the oar lock bushings before you go. Some designs are not what you would expect.

H) Bring a few tubes of AB epoxy for repairs

I) Unless sailing, a rudder would be useless IMO

J) A cell phone will stop charging, and not restart if the charge current is interrupted (if a shadow covers the solar cell). Use a power brick on the solar cell and charge from that.

K) Small 1lb anchors are sufficient but just like a large boat they will work free if you don't learn how to put tension on them.

L) You can row this boat upwind in 20 gusting 40km, but you will need to shift weight forward.

M) If in the wilderness and exposed, a safety line is essential. Even in light winds the boat will blow away much faster than you can swim. Be ever vigilant when landing - don't get left on shore without your boat.

N) The biggest issue with this boat is finding a place to use it. A watercourse that does not require portage will usually be jammed with so many cottages that you can't find a place to stop for the night. Even if you can, it's incredibly disheartening to row in that kind of environment. If you are thinking of building, spend some time on google earth to see you you can find a place near you that would be tolerable - keep in mind you can cover up to 60km a day and very reasonably average 30km/day. Lakes big enough for rowing (Superior) can be unpleasant, with swells well over your head even in moderate winds. I'm still searching for good places to row, but I may try Lake of the Woods, or maybe return to Superior.