Race Packet

A forum for discussion about the Race to Alaska ( http://www.racetoalaska.com )

Moderator: Moderator

RaceBoss
New Contributor

Race Packet

Post by RaceBoss »

Hey all. If you haven't seen it, the Race Packet is out. It can be found at the bottom of the Rules page on the R2AK website page.

A link to that page is here. https://r2ak.com/official-rules/

Any questions or clarifications will be on this thread, so feel free to ask away and we'll try to keep everyone up-to-date. We hope it's pretty clear, but hey! First year doing the race and we wanted to get some of the detail out to racers as soon as possible.

See you all at the starting line!

Race Boss
R2AK
RaceBoss
New Contributor

Sailing in Victoria Harbour

Post by RaceBoss »

Someone wrote about the no sailing rules in Victoria:
I have read the section in the new race packet several times and I am still not sure whether the following is an R2AK rule that might result in disqualification from the race if not adhered to, or if competitors can just ignore this rule and hope not to be caught by the harbor police:
The answer?

If you break those rules, which are rules established by the Harbour Authority, they may come get you, but we don’t have any disciplinary action associated with breaking those rules.

I would also say that Canadians' are nice to a point...do you want to find out what that point is?

Race Boss
R2AK
RaceBoss
New Contributor

Re: Race Packet

Post by RaceBoss »

Race Boss here,

There has been some confusion and a typo in the Victoria Harbour rules about sailing. To be clear you can sail only in the OUTER Harbour and cannot sail in the MIDDLE, INNER or UPPER Harbour. If that makes little or no sense check out this map. OUTER harbor, where you can sail, is made up of the mouth of the harbor all the way in to Shoal Point. Here is the link:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/pa ... 14-map.pdf

I hope this clears it up.

Cheers,
Race Boss
RaceBoss
New Contributor

Customs

Post by RaceBoss »

Customs

Alaska, like Canada, entry will be a phone call at the finish dock, except our Alaskan brethren will also come down to say hello (we will call them ahead of time to let them know you are coming). This has changed. No phone calls in Alaska. Border protection will come down personally to check everyone in.

If you are a vessel 30' or over you can apply for a decal that will make customs even faster in Alaska. It costs $27.50 and you can apply for the decal here:

https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov

Race Boss
Last edited by RaceBoss on Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team John
New Contributor

Post by Team John »

I rode the MV Coho, the Black Ball ferry, from Pt. Angeles to Victoria Harbour 3 weeks ago. Off the starboard side, entering Victoria Harbour, at Shoal Point, is a very prominent sign that states that sails must be lowered beyond that point. I think we, as participants, should all agree to obey that order.

John Strathman
"Team John"
SloanSailing
New Contributor

Post by SloanSailing »

Daniel,

Can you please clarify what the "full length of Lama Passage (Bella Bella)" entails? i.e. does that include the channel east of Hunter Island, or only the channel east of Campbell Island where it intersects the channel north of Hunter Island, then north to Bella Bella?

Maybe post a picture with that section identified? Just wondering if racers are required to go east of Hunter Island.

Thanks!
RaceBoss
New Contributor

Post by RaceBoss »

Race Boss here:

Great question about Bella Bella. We just want people to pass along Bella Bella waterfront and to come from the south. Check out the map for the required approach. An approach from either side of Hunter Island is totally appropriate.
Screen Shot 2015-05-08 at 11.57.38 AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SloanSailing
New Contributor

Post by SloanSailing »

Great thanks RB!