Seeking crew

A forum for discussion about the Race to Alaska ( http://www.racetoalaska.com )

Moderator: Moderator

scotdomergue
Regular Contributor

Seeking crew

Post by scotdomergue »

My tentative partner for the race had to drop out. So I'd like to find a good rower/sailor to partner with. I'm already registered, team fee paid. I'm designing a 20 foot trimaran with amas that move in for rowing. It will be quite light weight, very fast sailing, and pretty easy to row (sliding seat rowing, like a racing scull). It will have a very small cabin so one can sleep comfortably while the other sails/rows. I have in mind moving as fast as possible 24 hours/day during the race, conditions permitting. If you have a shop for boat building this fall/winter, that would be a plus, but not necessary. Please get in touch if you're interested: scotdomergue@yahoo.com; 509-846-9045 (cell).

Thanks, Scot
Tom Christie
New Contributor

Re: Seeking crew

Post by Tom Christie »

Scot,
Can you tell us what part of the world you live in?
I'm assuming you want to be reasonable close to the boat building shop.
Thanks,
Tom
scotdomergue
Regular Contributor

Post by scotdomergue »

Sorry, I didn't see the location question until just now. I live in Twisp, a small town in the Methow Valley of N. Central Washington State, 200 miles from Port Townsend in the summer (pass closes in the winter); 90 miles north of Wenatchee. I'd be open to spending the winter in a good place for boat-building with the right partner . . . both of the people I was considering as partners had places for boatbuilding in Oregon. Scot
scotdomergue
Regular Contributor

Post by scotdomergue »

Update:

I still seek a race partner but no longer feel need for help with building the boat (though could be open to it).

My design is now 19 feet long with 14 foot beam (amas out), has very narrow cabins fore and aft (each a single berth that can also be used for other things). Weight should be no more than 400 lbs including all sailing/rowing/paddling gear and solar power system for running electronics. Akas fold to bring amas in for rowing - oarlocks mounted on amas for ideal sliding-seat rowing geometry. Vaka is narrow in the cockpit area for good double-bladed kayak paddling, wider in cabins for comfort, function, and mounting akas. The hull is sleek full length below and to some inches above waterline, max waterline beam 23 inches.

I've arranged to rent/use a nice shop a block from my house. I intend to complete most design work within the next week so that I can order materials and start building about December 1.
scotdomergue
Regular Contributor

Post by scotdomergue »

Have crew, no longer seeking. Thanks for the interest from many! Scot